bojangles

trophy mule deer tag

I'm looking at holding out for a trophy mule deer tag.

I figure i can hunt archery every year until i get a trophy tag, and possibly shoot a monster on one of those hunts, too.

But if you were holding out for a trophy tag, what unit would you choose, and why?

I'm looking at 13a and 13b, but should i be shopping other units too?

what about

12a eas/west?

12b

3c

23 late?

Mind you, i want to come home with a b&c on this hunt, and i'm willing to wait for the tag.

thx!!

Here is my take on this. If you have a lot of points hold out for 13B or 13A. The bonus pass on these hunts are currently sitting at 15 points. The late 12’s are also great hunts but will still take around 13 points to make the bonus pass, wait an extra 2 years and hunt in the 13’s. 3A3C requires less points but is also earlier before the rut and not the same experience in my opinion. 23 and 27 have rut hunts and would take 8 to 10 points to make the pass. I would say save your points for 13’s and archery & leftover hunt until you get the best tag.

• Like 1

I would not shy away from 23 or 3c ... Have seen plenty that go over 180" in both and as in most units in this state the potential for a book Buck exists .... as far as the Rut Most years The date of the 3C hunt puts you in the beginning of their Rut ... Some seem to forget that the upper plateau Bucks rut A bit earlier .... remember the 3c hunt is any antlered and though you don't see many I have seen a few Couse that would make any of us on this forum drop our jaws and drool like a kid in a candy store and they were on the the white mans side of the fence.

I would not shy away from 23 or 3c ... Have seen plenty that go over 180" in both and as in most units in this state the potential for a book Buck exists .... as far as the Rut Most years The date of the 3C hunt puts you in the beginning of their Rut ... Some seem to forget that the upper plateau Bucks rut A bit earlier .... remember the 3c hunt is any antlered and though you don't see many I have seen a few Couse that would make any of us on this forum drop our jaws and drool like a kid in a candy store and they were on the the white mans side of the fence.

I assume you haven't hunted 3c? The deer in 3c don't rut till December every year. Long after the October hunts. The strip bucks don't even start rutting til November and that's early for AZ.

• Like 2

Again, thanks for the input.

I can count on one hand the number of big game animals i've taken outside of unit 22, so to those of you with experience in other units, thanks a million.

I assume you haven't hunted 3c? The deer in 3c don't rut till December every year. Long after the October hunts. The strip bucks don't even start rutting til November and that's early for AZ.

I have hunted and assisted in 3c a lot for both Elk and Deer .... and spent a lot of time up there in November ... The rut may not be in full swing in early and mid November but on the years with early freezes Pre Rut patterns in mule deer do happen in early to mid November .... I Have not hunted Deer there in the last 4 years and forgot it has become more late OCT than that first week of November like it once was... But I have always considered those pre-rut behaviors as the beginning ... The swelling , the challenging , Bachelor Herds getting smaller with the bigger bucks starting to get more active and aggressive. The rut may not be in full swing until late November and December, but I have been on several deer Hunts in early November where they are starting those pre-rut patterns. Might be one of the reasons the last 4 years it keeps opening earlier and earlier

I have never hunted the Strip but there are some good bucks in the 12's and the tags are easier to draw.

Late 12E

08-26-09050.jpg

• Like 11

I have never the Strip but there are some good bucks in the 12's and the tags are easier to draw.

Late 12E

08-26-09050.jpg

Incredible buck!

Nothing more beautiful than a big mule deer buck!

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

I think there are big deer everywhere, its just a question of how many and how easy they are to find. Some of the best hunters i know shoot giant deer and never post it on Facebook or anywhere else so the story and the unit go untold. Get a tag for the area you want and hunt it like a trophy hunt and you may surprise yourself on the outcome. My personal choices are archery 13b (never been there) and 3c rifle(very large bucks and close to home). I have shot at very large deer in non premier units and it wasn't the deer or units fault I couldn't shoot straight.

I have never hunted the Strip but there are some good bucks in the 12's and the tags are easier to draw.

Late 12E

08-26-09050.jpg

Awesome buck. I'm jealous!

• Like 2

There are big bucks all over the state. You just have to spend the time out there to find them.

post-11812-0-22049600-1431861275_thumb.jpg

• Like 7