Sign in to follow this  
NYAZHunter

Hunting 36B ,October vs. Early November , can you give some feedback

For the last 21 years I have hunted the early hunt ( end of Oct). I am entertaining doing the early November hunt this year and when looking at the Harvest Data , I see that the number of 1st choice applicants is less than for the October hunt.

Surprised by that . Wondering what the reason / reasons might be. The weather should be cooler which has an appeal as the last number of years have been pretty warm in Oct.

I do appreciate any thoughts you might have on why the early Nov. hunt appears to be not as desired as the Oct. hunt.

Thank you in advance for your help

Jim

You get first crack at them during october hunt. By early november they have already been pressured, shot at, or killed.

• Like 5

^ Definitely this. ^

With consideration that I hunt a little farther from roads than most, I personally would choose the hunt with less moon, regardless of the first crack.

• Like 3

Take the October Hunt every time .... If you want cooler and are thinking November spend thanksgiving Down there and kick Black Friday off with a rifle in your hand...

• Like 1

You get first crack at them during october hunt. By early november they have already been pressured, shot at, or killed.

This. Last year the November hunt was a tough one. They were already highly pressured and pushed further back into the country than normal.

• Like 2

Last year the first November hunt sucked hairy man butt.

• Like 2

I have hunted both the Oct hunt and the first Nov hunt in 36B many times. The draw back for the Oct hunt is the heat, it's basically a sweat hunt. The first Nov hunt has been lined up with my off time at work for the past three years, so I have gone on it. The Deer have definetly been pressured by then and most of your bigger smarter Deer are a little harder to hunt then.

I have hunted both the Oct hunt and the first Nov hunt in 36B many times. The draw back for the Oct hunt is the heat, it's basically a sweat hunt. The first Nov hunt has been lined up with my off time at work for the past three years, so I have gone on it. The Deer have definetly been pressured by then and most of your bigger smarter Deer are a little harder to hunt then.

minus about 4 years ago when it was freezing and wet that entire late Oct. hunt .... 36b always pays off best , like pretty much any other unit, when you get out there away from the roads and get a little rougher and remote... Still if I am going to hunt in November it is going to be that late hunt ....

Jim , How many You got going this Year? I think where You go , on the 2nd hunt you would be ok pressure wise........GOOD LUCK OLE BUDDY.............BOB!

You'd be lucky to have a 5° difference in those hunts. Ones scorching, the other is blistering.

Not for 2014 my November hunt was 10-15 degrees cooler then it was in October. But yes you do trade off maybe better cooler weather, and you lose the first crack at them on the first hunt. I hate hunting in the hot heat !

Thanks for all of the input . I was looking for cooler .

Temps ( you know , that global warming thing ) seem to have gotten warmer since I started hunting there in the late 90's. We had about 4" of snow one year and have had temps in the 20's in the early a.m. Several years ago , temps toward the high 90's and an extra trip to Arrivaca for ice ( none available ) and continuing to Amado to get some.

Bob, if we go early Nov. it will only be two us, if Oct. , prob five of us. How about joining us again.

Jim

Jim , I would love to. See what happens with me financially and health wise. After my surgery last march on shoulder I never healed correctly .recently had another mri and a tendon is completely torn. I told him surgery will have to wait till after elk hunt. Can't drive the big truck no more so aint making the big bucks now. Seeing a lawyer in 2 weeks. Was hopeing to be back living in AZ in sept. but dont think its gonna happen . Gotta get my issues legally taken care of up here first. Gotta sell this danm Mobile home I bought also. and with oil going in the pot there is alot of them for sale all of a sudden. Maybee IL'L get that tag on a leftover cause I got 8 points and don't wanna burn em on that hunt..Keep in touch........BOB!