murfys69law

Vortex scope??

i own every kinda scope known to man, and a few that ain't. never had problems with a leupold and their warranty is just as good. sent em one literally in pieces once, and a bunch of pieces too. sent it back better than new. have a couple of vortex scopes and several binoculars, no problems, clear, all that, but i like the American made Leupold things best. never had one fog up or lose focus or be hard to zero. great optics, especially if you get the varix3 or above. just got a varix3 30mm 4.5-14x40 with the side focus the other day. going on my new .375 h&h. it is one fine scope. Lark.

hmmmmmm...ya'll got me thinking now. Thanks...I'm really on the wall.

Had to send 2 leupolds in my self. Sent in one vortex, 2 Burris. Have yet to find the perfect scope. But if a fall and break a scope it will be one with a vortex warranty. I will never buy anything over a $500 with out it again.

You're always going to find someone that says something that will make you second guess your original choice, it will happen with everything you set you mind on. That being said, go with your gut as you came to your conclusion for a specific reason. Just because the same scope didn't work out for someone else doesn't mean it wont work perfectly for you. Just my 2 cents...

• Like 2

I have only bought vortex for the last few years and wouldn't do anything different for the money. The PST is awesome but like I said for the money. Eye relief is the only big diff compared to high end scopes that I see. It tracks nice up 700, as far as Ive takin it. Hard to call that scope good for the money when we are talking over a grand but you will see a diff in higher scopes. The warranty is awesome and totally worth the money in my opinion.

Get a Vortex. I have had the Diamondback 4-16, then the Viper PST 6-24x50, Razor HD 5-20x50, and I currently use the Gen II Razor HD 4.5-27x56. Like anything, you get what you pay for. And I have found that for the money, Vortex has had better features than the competition. And a better warranty. I have never had to use the warranty but its nice knowing that if I take a spill or I break it accidentally that it will be fixed free of charge. It gives me piece of mind, especially how expensive optics can be.

If your price point only allows for the Viper PST I would recommend the Viper HS LR. It is basically the same scope minus the illuminated reticle but it adds the capped windage turret.

If you can afford a little more, I would look for a used Gen I Razor HD 5-20x50.

Either way you go I would first try to find one used. You will save some cash and there are some very good used scopes out there. I bought my Razor HD 5-20x50 used and I was very comfortable knowing that if for some reason I bought a broken scope, I could send it in and it would be fixed or replaced. The classifieds on this site or on longrangehunting.com have pretty good deals.

Good Luck and let us know what you get!!!

• Like 1

Have you looked at Redfield Revolution? They are made in the USA by Leupold & carry the same warranty as Vortex. I have 3 of them & just ordered a 4x12x40 for my T/C 223.

Excellent scopes that won't break the bank!

Have you looked at Redfield Revolution? They are made in the USA by Leupold & carry the same warranty as Vortex. I have 3 of them & just ordered a 4x12x40 for my T/C 223.

Excellent scopes that won't break the bank!

I am getting rid of an original Redfield that was on it. It's the 3x9 accu-trac and I don't think I will use redfield ever again since they changed. In it's day it was middle to upper class but not anymore. MO

It's for sale if you are interested. Still looks and works good.

Just curious Murfy did you have a bad experience with Redfield. I have not had any problems with mine. I do like vortex as I have binos & spotter from vortex.

haha yea no kidding, I get out there and in the thick and climb the rocks to find places. if I was going to sit at a bench or a stand I may not worry about it so much. really its get the best glass you can afford and go handle and look them over real well.

Just curious Murfy did you have a bad experience with Redfield. I have not had any problems with mine. I do like vortex as I have binos & spotter from vortex.

Yeah. I had 2. the 3x9 5 star accutrac and another one that was the 3x9 Wideview accutrac. If you know these scopes they have the yardage post inside so when you dial your magnification up it tells your yardage and then you dial to that. My wideview yardage post just melted for know reason while sitting in my gun cabinet. Sent it back and they said redfield was out of business and they couldn't do anything. Finally found a company that was taking some of there warranty work. They fixed it but it took over a year. I sold the scope and kept the other one. I am replacing it with the vortex as I don't see as well and wanted more magnification. The 5 star was a good one as far as redfield goes but this scope is 30 years old.

Well when buying a scope first evaluate if you are clumsy and fall down a lot.

If that's the case then Vortex warranty is the way to go I guess

I know Redfield did go out of business, but Leupold bought the company couple years ago. Sorry to hear about your experience, I have had good luck with mine.

You can't go wrong with Vortex they are a good company, good luck on what you decide.