Sign in to follow this  
naturebob

longbeard today

In the strangest way,I was hunting a particular bird today by a guys farm. He told me they roost on the side of the road his house is on, and cross the street 8-9 am. I wait set up across the road and they didn't come as a group. 2 here, 3 here 2 more ,all hens ,no talking. So I drive up the road (Hill) about 500 yards and there is a crop field with woods from there to the street where they roost.I see a Tom about 500 yards away next to the woods. So I drive down the hill climb up into the woods where I think He will come. Never heard or saw nothin .He beat me some how. I walk back to my truck hopping I can glass them up across the street. As I approach my truck siiting 10 yards off the highway I see this black thing 25 yards from my truck laying.there. I walk up to it and it was the tom I was after. He eluded Me but got hit by a truck crossing the highway. Feathers all over and he was flatened to about 6 inches thick .It was chilly out and he was nice and warm. Had a 9 binch beard which I took. But the bird was mutalated. Left Him. Rancher wasn't home .I will call him tonite to let him know what happened.Weird situation. I should of just hunted by the truck. Was it OK to take the beard? I will post pic soon. I just woke up and gotta go to work........BOB!

post-4458-0-73245600-1430356053_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had a group of friends on the Res hunt ... they went 2 for 3 over the weekend ( 1 nice Tom and a nice Jake) and said none of the Toms were with hens .... Day one they were finding nothing but hens and the occasional small Jake, move a couple miles away and were not seeing as many birds, but all they seen were groups of 3 - 5 toms and Jakes in each ...

The fan was pretty tore up . Ya to bad If they were only talking at this spot. An hour later 10 miles away had 3 jakes come in. Thats 5 jakes got to walk this year . I'm a long beard guy. to me shooting a jake is taking away next years longbeard , or like shooting a spike.Thats just Me . everybody is different in that aspect..........BOB!

The morrow of this story is just stay by the truck and hunt. The game wiil come to You. .......BOB!

I talked to the rancher and he said there has been 2 toms an 2 jakes roaming around. I said I will let them be. Gotta make sure all the breeding gets done to keep the flock going. I have 4-5 other ranches I can hunt that have more birds . I try not to over harvest one area too. They were much obliged I didnt want to over kill there flock. 1 less tom now.........BOB!...

• Like 1

That sucks! I almost never see turkeys get road killed here in ND. Not sure why that is but I guess this one bucked the trend. I'm headed out this weekend to try to get it done. Lined up some new land to hunt that I have high hopes for!

• Like 1