Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Stabilizer? How do you know what works best for your set up?

I never thought much of a stabilizer. And then I thought id read about them. Now Im more confused.

Anyone solve this riddle?

• Like 1

I find short stabs hold my wrist strap and absorb vibralions.

but the longer ones over 8 inches realy seem to help my distance shooting. It realy is a lever that prevents a bit of torque and bow jump the longer it is the better it stops it. Take a pencil and wiggle the far end back and forth, now try the same with a broom. You can see how the longer the lever the more work it takes . Best way is to try a few out and see what you think of them.

• Like 1

There's several functional benefits to using a stabilizer. As mentioned, a longer one is great for helping to hold steady on longer shots or on shots where you need to shave .0005" off the back of a gnats arse. There's a reason why every tournament shooter in the world uses one: they work.

For most hunting situations, however, I think longer stabilizers are over kill when you consider the size of an animals kill zone and also when you consider that trade-off in having a huge stabilizer sticking off the front of your bow. Plus, I've killed a deer at 80 yards with a 6" stabilizer, so it's absolutely not necessary to have one for shooting long ranges. But it does help if you can maneuver around without it driving you nuts.

On a hunting bow, I think the primary things you should be concerned with are noise reduction and how it balances the bow. I use an offset on mine and fiddle around with it until I get it positioned such that the bow sits perfectly balanced in my hand without me squeezing it at all and does not tip either side to side or front to back after a shot. The only bow motion I want is a straight downward drop from gravity and the release of the tension on my string.

Incidentally, I made these offsets in my shop at home and have a couple more floating around. If you want to play around with one, pm your address and I'll gladly throw one in the mail for you.

post-1431-0-46578500-1430119448.jpg

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

I've been curious about this too. I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but if we are talking stabilizers, do any of you hunt or have experience with the side stabilizers? Pros vs cons?

I can start a new thread if you want apache12 but it seemed to fit here.

Apache and Akaspecials we have a few in our store and I welcome you to come down and ask for me (JR) and I'd be happy to let you try them out while explaining the difference in each one. Everyone's opinion is always welcome but honestly it's the shooter who should ultimately decide if he likes or dislikes the way the bow feels with one on and how it feels during the shot.

Guest akaspecials

Apache and Akaspecials we have a few in our store and I welcome you to come down and ask for me (JR) and I'd be happy to let you try them out while explaining the difference in each one. Everyone's opinion is always welcome but honestly it's the shooter who should ultimately decide if he likes or dislikes the way the bow feels with one on and how it feels during the shot.

Ya'll have my bow right now. (I'm getting a new string on). I'll ask when I come in to pick it up. Thanks.

I use a stabilizer/s to level the bow at full daw, to get the mass weight of the bow to the desired weight, and to adjust the hold pattern and float of my pins. They make plenty of silencing accessories to quiet down a bow. I use a stabilizer to stabilize. Law of inertia and what not, it's harder to disrupt a heavy object.

Here's a couple of my hunting rigs with longer than normal front bars and rear bars

post-1816-0-08288900-1431293291_thumb.jpg

post-1816-0-08129900-1431293357_thumb.jpg

I shot the Limbsaver Hunter LS today and I was amazed at how much it silenced the bow and reduced hand shock. I was amazed.

At the distances i shoot (35-40yds) on deer i dont use a stabalizer, on game where i hunt i don't see the need.

for target shooting or long distance shooting yes i do see their benefits.

Well pleasure to finally meet you sir. Let me know when you're ready for that stabilizer. For short distances it's not much of a difference besides vibration dampening, outside of 40+ yards it helps tremendously.