Guest akaspecials

Fly fishing noobs question

Guest akaspecials

My gf has a 10 and 14 year old that easily catch limits of trout using spinning gear. We've been thinking about moving to fly gear. Any tips on buying fly gear? Is it necessary to spend the money the money on a "good" rod and reel or will a cheapie suffice?

For 10 and 14 year olds, cheap isn't a bad thing, let them find out if they like it enough to pursue expensive setups.

When it comes time to you or them actually getting into it, the rod and fly line are what makes the cast. The reel isn't nearly as important. Although, this is probably dependent on what type of fly fishing you'll be doing as well.

You can get a fairly good set up thru Cabelas for less than $75 for a full set up. That's what I bought my kids. Mine started fly fishing at 8 years old. They can catch blue gill all day long.

I'd go cheapie and make dang sure they actually like fly fishing before you spend any real money. I was into fly fishing at about that same age, was getting good at it too, but then I broke my rod tip on the Little Colorado river. Luckily I had my spinning rod with me. I fished behind my Dad and whooped him like 10-1. I've maybe picked up a fly rod 5 times since.

Get them some starter sets .. Amazon has a lot to choose from ... if you have some old reels spooled up use them for teaching mechanics... take them out to a park with lots of grass and space , throw hula hoops at various distances and make it fun having them compete trying to land on target. No need to drop a lot on teaching the fundamentals and in most of AZ a good spinning rod floating a leader and fly behind a bubble can produce just as well with less headache than dealing with a fly rod, unless of course you are looking at setting them up in waders and float tubes too.

• Like 1

take them out to a park with lots of grass and space , throw hula hoops at various distances and make it fun having them compete trying to land on target.

^This, I like it. I bought a Shakespeare fly kit when I was 9, it came with a VHS, this is exactly the first thing it recommended and there I went.

Cabelas has excellent cheap fly combos.

I have a 7.5' 3 WT 3 forks combo and it's great.

I have higher end rods, but the 3 wt rides in my truck and is great for small streams and pond sessions. I think the whole combo was $70-80 and they often have them on sale in their spring ad.

I'd recommend a 4-5 wt for a trout stater setup though. I have a 9' 5 WT in a higher end setup for most of my trout fishing, but don't mind that cheapie at all.

Brian

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

Thanks for the advice guys. I really like the hula hoop suggestion. That'll make for some fun during the week!

Good suggestions by all above!

Another thing to consider would be a beginning fly tying kit. Could be a great way for them to get into that side of the hobby! I know that when I got into tying, it really hooked me (no pun) on fly fishing BIG TIME!

Good luck!

S.

:)

Good suggestions by all above!

Another thing to consider would be a beginning fly tying kit. Could be a great way for them to get into that side of the hobby! I know that when I got into tying, it really hooked me (no pun) on fly fishing BIG TIME!

Good luck!

S.

:)

x1000

Tying flies can be very relaxing and can save you a lot of money. It's a lot easier than it looks. It can also be a great side buisness. I tied flies for a couple of shops during my college days.

Adam

Excellent suggestion on the fly tying kit, I got started young and still am not good at it, but it's a great outdoor skill to have that anyone can enjoy.

My buddies and I tie striper flys up to 7" so it's not just about tying tiny little trout stuff.

• Like 1

check out a local fly fishing web site called azflyandtie.com It's a great site to get info on Az fishing. You might be able to find them a good outfit in the classifieds.

Adam