Sign in to follow this  
Huntnchick

Closing the gap???? Archery

Some times you can stalk in close because the bulls are so rutted up and paying more attention to each other that anything else......

In 2013 I heard bulls bugling like crazy, stalked in to the area they where in and got busted by a 6x6 who just ran about 75 yards and stood there bugling again so I left him and kept heading towards the other bulls that were raising cain over a little ridge. I started getting close and saw a nice 6x6 laying down bugling at other bulls out of sight,. I stayed in line with a big ponderosa pine tree to within 45 yards, drew my bow, stepped out from behind the tree, the bull stood up and looked at me just as I released the arrow. Recovered him about 100 yards and 4 hours later. Never made a call the whole time...didn't have to, they where letting me know where they were.

Huntin chic.... my personal opinion for hunting elk is to use Fred bears approach.. RUN FOR POSITION. Get in front of them and let them come to you!!!!!

• Like 1

Every situation is different and you need to learn how to read a bull. The way he is bugling, his aggressiveness and the distance to him can all play key roles in how to work him. A bull that is worked up and by himself is very vulnerable to cow calling. If a bull is pretty docile and not bugling aggressively, you may need to keep quiet and move in on him. It takes time in the field to learn how to handle any given situation, there just isn't any substitute for it. Raking trees can be a good way to bring one in, just depends on how he feels. I think in your situation, don't be afraid to try what you think will work. You are going to mess up, we all do. The thing is, learn from your mistakes as well as your successes. In my opinion, there is nothing more exciting than calling in a bull that is all worked up and looking for a fight. Its a pure adrenaline rush. Watch as many DVDs as you can, listen to how the bull is acting and take notes on it. Its a good way to learn some of their mannerisms during the off season. Practice like crazy. I prefer diagram calls. I like their tones and I like the ability to be hands free with them. I also like to record my calling so I can see how it sounds. Talk to as many people as you can and I hope you get the chance to call a big old bull right into your lap! Enjoy!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I have so much to learn! We got a movie, calls and our archery range set up! I am super excited. Lots to do to get ready!

I am going to keep reading these posts over and over so I don't forget these ideas during crunch time.

You guys rock!

• Like 1

I have hunted bull elk for over 40 years now. Made every mistake in the book..... and just when I start to pound my chest a bit (like a pro basketball player)I seem to make a new mistake and surprise.......another learning! That's what makes it so much fun and a challenge for me. Having said that, I have harvested 19 bulls, have 3 P&Y (since I gave up gun hunting in 1990), and had numerous +400 class bulls highly concerned on my archery hunts. So far they have avoided the back of my pickup to my disappointment. But a 400 bull remains one of the most important goals remaining in my life.

Sharing everyone's favorite elk hunting tactic is a great read on this forum, especially right after the tags are sorted out! My favorite tactic is the "retreating bull trick". It takes the hunter and a caller (usually me) placed behind the hunter about 70 yards and directly in line with the bugling bull. First step is to "pressure" the bugling bull by getting the hunter as close as possible without the cows or circling satellite bulls noticing. Once the hunter is in place I get directly in line with the hunter and bugling bull, hopefully in thick cover about 70 yards out. I start with one assertive, but subordinate sounding bull response. Let the bull know I am disturbed but afraid to come into him since I am a smaller but just as horny bull. When he gives me the assertive "get away from my harem" response I start retreating. I will stop and rake a tree which really infuriates the bull more. Often he will charge right in (presenting a great shot for my hunter). If he is satisfied and protecting his herd, and not coming in, I will throw in some cow calls. If this doesn't work it almost always brings in a satellite bull. On a few occasions the bull has passed my hunter coming to me without being shot. I then have to cautiously reposition on the other side of the hunter. It gets pretty amusing sometimes when the bull chases me on both sides of the hunter, yet there are no arrows flung in the air? The tree raking really adds realism to the whole show if done discretely,at the correct time, and by the correct sounding stick. I've also noticed that the cow calls were the best tactics up until about 5 years ago. Now the bull calls seem to be the most productive to me. Maybe we should thank the Hoochie Mama people for that change. Seems the bulls are getting more wary of cow calls so I try to do just a squeak if necessary. Regardless, I now call significantly less each year and start with intentions of going in silent until some form of calling response is required for each specific situation. Good luck to all who were lucky enough to draw a tag this year. Our family all struck out on tags this year so I will be helping someone out to continue my September passion.....and get my annual fix!

• Like 2

I am so grateful for everyone sharing so much with me, someone you have never met. Each comment and tip has been read and appreciated more than you will ever know.

Also thanks for the personal messages!

I have learned so much already and can't wait to keep reading over everything as hunting season approaches!