Sign in to follow this  
chico

E-Scouting

Honestly, I don't have a problem with anyone looking for some guidance. I have 3 sons and try to put them in for areas that they will have an opportunity to go hunting. That means sometimes it's in areas I'm less familiar with. The people on this forum have been extremely helpful in getting us in the right general areas on many occasions. No guarantees, but when you hunt a lot and have confidence going into an area you aren't familiar with, you can tell pretty quickly where and how you want to hunt it. It sure beats going in blind.

At the same time, I do my best to repay that by helping out others to the best of my abilities. I don't divulge specific honey holes because that would wreck them, but just last night I spent around 4 hours sending out maps and strategies to some members here who asked for advice. I really like to see these guys be successful, especially the ones taking their kids out.

My hope is those who ask for help and get it will learn from the experience and want to help others out later.

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone on this site that posts intelligent conversation. I know I have benefitted from the many collective years of wisdom members posses.

I was fortunate to draw a late rifle bull tag in 5B. I tagged my first bull there about 5 years ago and helped my nephew tag one in 2012. I love the unit and it is certainly large enough to learn more about it every hunt.

I will share general information with anyone who can benefit from it.

I plan to check out some new areas within 5B this year.

With that said I am wondering about access off of SR 87 via FR 211. I believe that road was closed via a locked gate. Before I spend too much time scouting areas around Long Lake is access available in late November/early December? Maybe off of Lake Mary Rd? What will be gated and locked by the Forest Service once snow falls? I spent ample time scouting all summer and fall but with Halloween and Thanksgiving missed the month prior to the hunt. It was an unpleasant surprise to find roads I was familiar with closed. No snow and yet still locked. Fortunately plan B worked out. Any help is appreciated.

Eric

Thank you to everyone on this site that posts intelligent conversation. I know I have benefitted from the many collective years of wisdom members posses.

I was fortunate to draw a late rifle bull tag in 5B. I tagged my first bull there about 5 years ago and helped my nephew tag one in 2012. I love the unit and it is certainly large enough to learn more about it every hunt.

I will share general information with anyone who can benefit from it.

I plan to check out some new areas within 5B this year.

With that said I am wondering about access off of SR 87 via FR 211. I believe that road was closed via a locked gate. Before I spend too much time scouting areas around Long Lake is access available in late November/early December? Maybe off of Lake Mary Rd? What will be gated and locked by the Forest Service once snow falls? I spent ample time scouting all summer and fall but with Halloween and Thanksgiving missed the month prior to the hunt. It was an unpleasant surprise to find roads I was familiar with closed. No snow and yet still locked. Fortunately plan B worked out. Any help is appreciated.

Eric

i just got the mvum it has a list of roads that are closed in winter time... not sure of the date but I think it was sometime in december.

if you call the coconino forest service they will send you 1 free of charge paid for by tax payers, or you can download it on their web page.

can't wait to see all the people on the closed roads so my head can explode......

James

The best answer to someone asking for info, is to not reply if you have nothing to give. If you have a rub against someone asking for infobover the internet just move on and click the next thread. No need to try and publicly trash on someone. Not pointing any fingers at all but this happens wat to often. I'm not sure, but I believe that is one of the reasons this site was created, for hunters to come together and exchange info about their hunts. That can include everything from e-scouting to kill pictures. Let's try and keep the site a positive place for us to enjoy our obsession. Thanks

So I was just wondering if you guys have any tips/secret spots for me so I can go find a BIG COUES DEER??? :ph34r:

I like all the guys that try to convince everyone there are no more good bulls left in many of the units .... and the premier members that tear up on the rest, especially the noobs that are asking on their very first post or two .... Let the next few Months of entertaining bickering begin ...

My recommendation is only this .... If you have the late hunts , save your money and limit your scouting to a few trips, and the last two taking place within the weeks leading to your open... The money saved may be able to pay for a mule pack out of your trophy, and in some units once successful, many are going to wish they did ...

Oh and one more thing for the first time E-scouters ... the G&F "Where to Hunt" gives enough information to find good starting points that even a Home Schooled Kid from Arkansas could have a fighting chance of tagging out .... and I have nothing against people from Arkansas

Becker find the bait piles you will find big Cows deer.

Savagman,

Hunt the same areas you hunted 5 years ago they are still there, but it's always nice to find new spots don't limit yourself to the spots you are familiar with.

Drive as far as you can in your close neighbors 1 ton dodge while helping him fix fence to keep the cattle in, get stuck 6 miles out, fix the fence for half a day, then walk back, have a drink (or 4) then take a half ton truck (which has pulled said 1 ton out a few times!) back to the stuck one. Only this time it's really!!!! Stuck. The walk back gives you plenty of scouting opportunity and a chance to hear about all the different fauna and flora. Good times and good exercise too! Try it some time. Especially if your fat with a bum foot.

I have hunted for 45 years in AZ. Many areas I have found were by getting out and finding them. Harvested 14 deer in an area that I found with 1 other friend. I have friends i trust and hunt with that have done the same thing and we exchange areas. In 2001 I took an old high school buddy I hadn't seen for years on a white tail hunt to my hidden area thinking this was our secret and he would enjoy the info. I killed but he didn't. Kept in touch for a few months then never heard from him again. The following year I see on the news where he, his brother and 2 other guys had to be rescued after being snowed in for 2 days and sure enough, there is my hidden area all over the news. He didn't ask if it was ok to take his brother or anyone else and who knows who else he told. Just decided this was his area now and I was out of the picture. I will gladly share info but only with the hunting friends I have now. Got burned once and that was enough.

• Like 2

I have hunted for 45 years in AZ. Many areas I have found were by getting out and finding them. Harvested 14 deer in an area that I found with 1 other friend. I have friends i trust and hunt with that have done the same thing and we exchange areas. In 2001 I took an old high school buddy I hadn't seen for years on a white tail hunt to my hidden area thinking this was our secret and he would enjoy the info. I killed but he didn't. Kept in touch for a few months then never heard from him again. The following year I see on the news where he, his brother and 2 other guys had to be rescued after being snowed in for 2 days and sure enough, there is my hidden area all over the news. He didn't ask if it was ok to take his brother or anyone else and who knows who else he told. Just decided this was his area now and I was out of the picture. I will gladly share info but only with the hunting friends I have now. Got burned once and that was enough.

no area is hidden, kiddos to you for trying to help him but if he hadn't ruined it, someone else would have. In AZ almost for sure there is someone else that knows your secret spot. It a givin. If they don't then it only a matter of time! I have a few left that I keep quite but even then I find trash, miles from a road.

no area is hidden, kiddos to you for trying to help him but if he hadn't ruined it, someone else would have. In AZ almost for sure there is someone else that knows your secret spot. It a givin. If they don't then it only a matter of time! I have a few left that I keep quite but even then I find trash, miles from a road.

I agree that someone would have found it but in all the years I hunted I only saw 2 other hunters but they were 2-3 miles from going all the way to my area. Very rough country and you better be in shape.

I think the key that this post is making fun of happens on every forum. I am on here to learn about Coues deer since I finally saw two bucks here in NM and am interested in hunting them. I will have an archery tag for them this year in unit 23, non-Burro Mnts. if the draw is the same with more tags than hunters. I like reading other post and contributing when I can. What I see on every hunting forum is somebody gets a tag and their first post is I have never hunted this unit so where should I start and it always includes "NOT LOOKING FOR ANY HONEY HOLES.". This is bad forum etiquette. I think the members who have been on a hunting forum for a long time have formed opinions about other members. So get on and post long before you draw the tag and I bet you would get more help. I got burned once but have met some great hunters by helping NR's by having them apply for the tags I do and go on my hunts if they get drawn. So I help if I can and limit what I say if possible.

• Like 1

Bait piles!!!! I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip Seldom!!!! Bwahahahaha

I agree that someone would have found it but in all the years I hunted I only saw 2 other hunters but they were 2-3 miles from going all the way to my area. Very rough country and you better be in shape.
I am far from being in shape, yet every hunting season I challenge that stroke/heart attack. I walk in 2-3 or more mile and pray my wife doesn't see me in a body bag! Lots of fat lazy guys push the limits lol.
  • Like 2