Sign in to follow this  
bwp22

Big Lake

Our family usually goes camping around Big Lake around may/june and the kids always do pretty well on trout during that time of year. We are heading up there next weekend for the youth turkey hunt and I was wondering how the trout fishing will be. Is it still a bit to cool for the trout to be biting good? Thanks!

It's never to cold for the trout to be biting. April can be a big hit or big miss at times

• Like 1

Never too cold once the ice is melted ..... Late March through April can be awesome if you have open water for casting you are all good ... If you are looking for some big ones try putting salmon eggs on the barbs of the rear hook of a Rapala Countdown minnow or yo-zuri crystal minnow .... if you think they are holding closer to bottom use a floating version of either lure with a 2-3 feet of leader and weight in front of leader to get it down while letting the lure float off bottom ....

p.s. do not be afraid to use the bigger lures :)

• Like 2

I've caught my biggest fish at Big Lake in the Spring. Crazy cold, but Awesome fishing!

• Like 1

I went fly fishing at big lake yesterday. A little tough when the eyes on my pole kept freezing up. When it warmed up a little I did catch a few rainbows.

I done really well up in a shallow cove with the brook trout. I think they were spawning. All I caught there was brookies no rainbows .

I went fly fishing at big lake yesterday. A little tough when the eyes on my pole kept freezing up. When it warmed up a little I did catch a few rainbows.

I done really well up in a shallow cove with the brook trout. I think they were spawning. All I caught there was brookies no rainbows .

Did you catch any big one's? Do you know if Cressent made it thru or did it kill?

I have always done well with brooks on the east bank where it cuts back into the cove... but big rainbows and cut throats can pop up anywhere any time in the spring ... fish those big lures slow and you will catch some.

• Like 1

Big Browns

I caught one rainbow about 16 inches everything else was about 12 inches and yes Crescent lake made he winter no winter kill

Crescent lake cleared of ice about two week before Big Lake, I wish I had of tried there first.

I have always done well with brooks on the east bank where it cuts back into the cove... but big rainbows and cut throats can pop up anywhere any time in the spring ... fish those big lures slow and you will catch some.

I like to fish with the big CD-11s. Amazing the size of fish that will go for those big lures. They are all I use now when fish the south fork of the Snake up in Idaho.

rossislider

Yeah ... I often fish the 4 3/8" or 5 and 1/4 in these baits on Big lake trailing salmon eggs ... The rainbow trout ,holo clown , and holo Tennessee are colors I use .... you will be surprised at even how many 12 inch fish try to gobble up a big lure ....

http://yo-zuri.com/OnlineStore/Classic_Lures/Crystal_Minnow_Series/details/Crystal_Minnow_Floating.html

If those are not turning them on I will go to the pins minnows ... in more native colors ... on the Black the smallest M37 was a killer I go with the 3 1/2 inch most the times on lakes though...

http://yo-zuri.com/Products/Pins_Minnow_Series/details/Pins_Minnow_Floating.html

been a long time since I fished the snake .. would love to get back up to Island park and do some fishing up there !

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. For the kids I keep it simple and just work up a carolina rig with a 12" leader and some powerbait or salmon eggs. I will try some of the other suggestions!

Rossislider- Good luck on the turkey hunt!

I live up here and fish Big Lake as often as I can. I am completely honest with you in that is has not turned on yet and has not produced a consistent bite yet.

Morning, mid-day, evening..... it just hasn't turned on. I guess maybe you could find a hot-spot but might be tough fishing.

Crescent did not have a kill. Have fun anyways; it is a beautiful place up here.

I live up here and fish Big Lake as often as I can. I am completely honest with you in that is has not turned on yet and has not produced a consistent bite yet.

Morning, mid-day, evening..... it just hasn't turned on. I guess maybe you could find a hot-spot but might be tough fishing.

Crescent did not have a kill. Have fun anyways; it is a beautiful place up here.

Indeed it is, one of my favorite places in AZ!