Sign in to follow this  
naturebob

Water holes?

I know we have had good moisture up till now in unit 9 and 10 my ? now is are the water holes in good shape and if so how long will the water last if we go on a dry spell from now till the monsoon?..........Thanks in advance.................BOB!

There are some deep tanks that hold water all summer and fall, even during severe drought. There are a lot of shallow ones that only hold water a few weeks, even during good monsoon years. When even the deep tanks start to dry up, the G&F trick tanks will either have water or some of the groups like RMEF and AES will haul water to them.

When the shallow tanks dry up, the elk and hunters will be concentrated around the deep tanks. If's it wet and the small tanks have water, the elk will be scattered and harder to find.

I think the earlier hunts are little easier when it's dry and the small water sources are dry.

If you use google earth you can tell the difference between the deeper tanks and the ones that have been silted in and are shallow.

• Like 2

At this time last year, I found exactly 1 water tank with water in it after exploring unit 9 for a week, south of the Grand Canyon.

Unit 9 can suck up water like elephants on a baby pool! Yes the trick tanks become very important this time of year. Very arid country.

Where the cattle are the ranchers keep the water holes full.

There is also a water pipeline that runs from drinker to drinker for the cattle but also helps the elk . It's runs north and south.

Unit 10 not a problem with water . Boquillas keeps the tanks up for all the cattle! Only spotty in some places off the ranch.

We have actually dried out the last 4 weeks. It's time for some rain.

• Like 1

In the middle of the State (unit 19a) things are drying very fast. Tanks are going empty. Lots of food. Animals are looking good at this point. Long spell till monsoon season.

To late Larry, burned them points. I think I will be fine. They should be in great shape now and for a while. Long as they got some food.. After 19 years of waiting, I think I will be worrying to much...................BOB!

Hunted 10 a few years back and talked to a rancher that was clearing huge areas of Juniper around his stock tanks and drainage's that feed his tanks. He said that the Juniper were just like a weed and suck up tons of water that helps keep the stock tanks and waterholes full. He said while we are out scouting just look at waterholes with lots of water and see how many Junipers are around it. True. Every waterhole that was low or drying up had Juniper everywhere and the ones without a lot were pretty full. Drought will def. make a difference too.

• Like 1

That rancher is absolutely correct. Juniper and pinyon suck up water big time.

• Like 1

a few yrs back - in unit 10 one of the local ranchers whom has grazing rights in several portions of unit 10 spent several months with a big loader digging out all the tanks - a lot where filled up by natural flow of dirt/debris over the last 20+ yrs. cows were getting stuck in the mud when water was low - It was a dry yr and I know he dug them out 15 to 20 ft deep .

so chances are if you see tanks with large berms - they are deep . Most of them this last 2-3 summers never dried up.- with any kind of precipitation there should be water in most tanks .

bring your own posts for cameras - surrounding trees are already full of them

• Like 2

Sirroyal, I think I will do all right if I can shoot My gun straight. I got some pretty good help ,just gotta see if I drew 9 or 10. Thanks for Your interest!.. :)..............BOB!

• Like 1

Sirroyal, I think I will do all right if I can shoot My gun straight. I got some pretty good help ,just gotta see if I drew 9 or 10. Thanks for Your interest!.. :)..............BOB!

Bob, is unit 9 the muzzy hunt?