Flatlander

Women's Cartridge

My .270 wsm recoil seems to be real close to my .338 wm. But I never really notice when shooting at game.

My wife loves her 7mm wsm, she's knocked down a few elk with. I'm jealous as heck of it too!

• Like 1

While the 257 caliber does not offer the best in long range bullets, there are a wide variety of QUALITY HUNTING bullets to choose from.

The 80, 100 and 115 TTSX/TSX are at the top, in my opinion. Followed closely by the 110 Accubond, the 120 Partition, the 100 Scirocco II (if you can get them to shoot), as well as the 90 GMX.

I have used the 100 TTSX and 110 Accubond up to elk, and Kilimanjaro has used the 100 TTSX up 'o Nyala in Africa with excellent results. Then there are plenty of other, non premium bullets to choose from that have also killed a truck load of game.

My wife uses a 7-08 and has taken deer and a bull with it and no complaints but I would defiantly not go smaller then a 140 grain bullet if she was going after a bull elk. Bull elk are big and can take some lead. She has no issues with recoil at the range which is important and the rifle and muzzle break help with that. Thank you WhiteCloud Gunsmithing for a great rifle! Rageinthesage mentioned 7wsm which would be great choice and wonder what the difference in recoil would be.

I don't understand the pleasure and why you would attempt to take game with calibers/bullets that are questionable for what you are hunting. We're not willing to take chances like that due to respect for the animal and wounding a animal would ruin the hunt and could ruin hunting for her. Tracker or tracking dog in camp helps with recovery though but I have neither.

My dad just finished building an old VZ-24 in 7x57 Mauser for my niece right before he passed away. Can't wait to take her out hunting with it but she is afraid she is going to scratch it. Its a great shooting rifle though!

Check out a 280ai... Recoil is light and ballistics are very close to a 7mm. I love mine and the 140accubonds fly great and kill things up to moose very well. My very small framed kids 9,11 shoot it and love doing it! . Just a caliber not mentioned that is worth looking at.

I don't understand the pleasure and why you would attempt to take game with calibers/bullets that are questionable for what you are hunting. We're not willing to take chances like that due to respect for the animal and wounding a animal would ruin the hunt and could ruin hunting for her. Tracker or tracking dog in camp helps with recovery though but I have neither.

Was this just a general statement or did someone mention killing something with a questionable round?

Seems a 270 or any mild 7 would be great. 7-08, 7x57, 280 rem all great and recoil less than s 30-06 with great ballistics. My ex wife shot the 30-06 just fine as long as I didn't load 180 grain bullets or heavier. Big jump in recoil with the heavier bullets.

Bull or cow flatlander, you didn't specify (and it makes a difference).

I'm assuming bull, but most important thing is to have her comfortable and accurate with whatever you choose (and you can do the math on how they compare). Why not let her shoot them all and choose? You can then work up a load and go from there.

At a minimum, my youngest son has a junior's tag this year. Based on the past, my kids prefer using a 7x57 with a thumbhole stock. It's taken many animals, and several bulls and cows over the years. Most importantly, they shoot it well (& often leading up to a hunt).

Have fun, and be safe!

Bull or cow flatlander, you didn't specify (and it makes a difference).

I'm assuming bull, but most important thing is to have her comfortable and accurate with whatever you choose (and you can do the math on how they compare). Why not let her shoot them all and choose? You can then work up a load and go from there.

Huh?!? What difference does it make what kinda junk they have hanging between their legs when you're worried about putting a hole in their ribs? I've seen cows that are as big as good sized bulls, either way I don't think stepping down a caliber because "it's just a cow" is a good policy.