Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Latest Project

Few years back after both my parents passed away and I realized the burden that sometimes we leave behind I decided to make my own casket.

post-2034-0-53784800-1426613618.jpg

So then my father in law asked me if I would make sure I made his......but I put it off and put it off.

He ended up in the hospital a few weeks back and things weren't looking all that great so I got myself busy.

post-2034-0-71525100-1426613772_thumb.jpg

post-2034-0-21824800-1426613774_thumb.jpg

post-2034-0-41806300-1426613775_thumb.jpg

post-2034-0-36728000-1426613776.jpg

post-2034-0-38660200-1426613777_thumb.jpg

post-2034-0-46014700-1426613778.jpg

post-2034-0-42938500-1426613779.jpg

post-2034-0-51598200-1426613780_thumb.jpg

post-2034-0-92646300-1426613781.jpg

post-2034-0-99989400-1426613782_thumb.jpg

Luckily, he has made a great recovery so I get to put this one in storage along with mine!!!

What do you think, should I send pictures to my father in law or would that be like way uncool???

• Like 18

they are beautiful, and i think a great idea, wish i was capable of doing that, very nice.

Nice work. Are there any regulations you have to follow when building your own?

Wow, awesome work Jeff, just beautiful. I like your attention to detail.

Where vaults are required it has to fit inside the vault is the only thing so far I have run into.

The local mortician told me the lid on mine opens the wrong direction according to what is "normal" but I told him I bet at that point in my life it wouldn't really matter to me.

I built one for a nephews son couple of years back and that cemetery let me build the vault out of wood as well.

Cemeteries are not all the same, some only allow fiberglass vaults and such. I guess the main thing is to check with the individual cemetery to make sure you are up to whatever their regulations are.

nice work jeff, I built my grandfathers a few yeas back, and did all elk antlers for the handles, and I carved "scenes" in the front of it with a dremel tool. it turned out really nice I thought, I just had to make sure the fiberglass "case" would fit over it, and that was it......

one thing to keep in mind is the lid depth, we lined his with some kind of white satin cloth ( I cant remember exactly now ) but anyway when they closed the lid ( after putting him in ) and then went to open it for the viewing that night, the "makeup" had rubbed off a little on the lid cloth because the lid wasn't as deep as some.... so it had some smugges on it.... so was one thing I hadn't thought about,......

anyway nice job....

As morbid as this sounds, what did u line it with? Or are the tongue and groove boards structure? Details on construction are really appreciated!

On mine, the first picture above, I just used the raw lumber for the box, the bottom and the lid have 3/4 plywood as part of the construction.

Grandpas, I built a box with 3/4 plywood interior and then built off of that. I can't speak for what is normal.

On my last one, my lid didn't match up as good as I wanted and I was worried that it wouldn't seal but when I talked to the mortician he said none of the factory caskets really seal up. On mine I have a big knot hole at the head end of mine just in case they bury me alive I have a breathin hole.

The only one morbid wise that I struggled with was the one for my nephews 7 year old boy and it wasn't morbid, just very humbling and gratifying, dare I say spiritual experience. I was glad his mom and dad let me build it for him.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the tune! Really touched me as my Dad passed last year on this date. He was a master carpenter also, but didn't make his own box. Been thinking about him and missing him a lot, especially today.

• Like 2