Sign in to follow this  
creed

Judging distance without a rangefinder

I think as bowhunters we all get caught where we can't use a rangefinder to judge distance. I am not too good at it but what I do is use 20 yard increments. I can judge 20 yards fairly well so if I double that it equals to 40 yards, etc. I can get out to 50-60 yds like this but anything beyond is just a guess. I also use objects on the ground, rock, bush or tree instead of the animal itself since I tend to underestimate distance if I look at the animal.

Any tips on judging distance in hunting situations?

• Like 2

I do better adding up 10 yard increments rather than 20. Stump shooting practice really helps. Other than that I agree with your methods.

Good Luck Bruce!

Nick

• Like 3

I hit the 3D range and guess each target's distance before ranging and shooting it. I also stop and guess the distance on random objects anytime my rangefinder is available. I've have gotten good enough to always be within 10 yards, and usually 5, at least out to my comfortable shooting distance of 60. I also use 10 yard increments, similar to how you stated you use objects along the path to your target and add them up.

That said, windicator and rangefinder are always ready and I use it every time I'm in a hunt situation. Not worth it to me to wound one when the technology is right in my pocket. Ideally, I range things before the shot presents itself.

• Like 1

I used to be really good at guessing yardages within 2-3 yards out to 70+. I shot a LOT of 3D tournaments, and it is probably the very best way to accurately learn the difference between 35 and 40 yards. 5 yards is a pretty big difference out past 40. I, too, use the 10 yard method. Think about 3+ steps=10 yards, and walk it off in your mind. It works well when the target is not moving, and you quickly become accustomed to 20, 30, 40, 50 yards.

The ten yard method works good. Another method I use on longer distances: Observe the total distance, pick a halfway point. Scrutinize the distance to the halfway point. Double the result.

• Like 1

Practice constantly. I have my rangefinder with me when hiking or just walking around the neighborhood. I try to use 20 yards to 100 yards in 10 yard increments. Then I can walk off the distance or rangefinder it. If something is between the 50-60 yard mark judge halfway to know 55 yards. If the object is closer than halfway you know it is between 50-55 yards and if it is past halfway you know it is 55-60 yards. The time I have the hardest judging distance is like across a canyon. I have a hard time trying to figure out where the range increments are without a ground reference. This is where hiking during the summer helps for hunting season.

Shoot 3D as much as you can...it pays off quite a bit when you are hunting. I usually go for ten yard increments and add from there, arrive at a distance, then work backwards from my target to me using different references. Don't restrict these exercises to when you have a bow in your hand, you can guess yardage anytime you are outside and pace off the distance after you make an estimate. This keeps your mind and eye focused year round.

Guest 300ultramag.

use a range finder when I can if at all possible.. it beats pulling a whack and track. cant beat a pinwheel on a solid mature animal.. thats why we practice

have you looked at those sights where they have transparent references that are to scale of the animal you are hunting?

I've noticed over the years that there are very few opportunities where I have time to actually range an animal when bow hunting alone. Under 40 yards I'm pretty darn accurate without a range finder. I almost never have the opportunity to use a range finder because things seem to happen too fast out there

This comes from years of practice and stump shooting is the best training in my opinion and targets set up in a natural outdoor environment at different angles/elevation.

I also will walk through the desert or forest and periodically pick items to range to see how close I am. it's all brain training.

I guess yardage constantly then range it to see how close I am. esp. in low light conditions. its pretty fun to do and will help when that chance rolls around and you can't use a range finder. having a bunch of cattle around helps also.

I do a guess how many steps to something. Animals or a car or even to a crack in the sidewalk. My average step is right at a 3 foot stride. So it works well.

Guest akaspecials

I agree with the step method. I know that 2 of my steps is 5 feet. Whenever I walk anywhere I randomly pick things, mentally range them, then walk them off to double check. I do it out shopping, at work, hiking, etc. After a while you "just know". As soon as I stop practicing daily I lose the skill though!