Flash

Suggestions on San Diego

Good to know CWT has members with a ton of saltwater experience i.e. BiglakeJake, Havasuhunter, murphys69law, probably many more.

Me, I'm a relative greenhorn BUT what I have done is listened carefully to people with experience. Watched a ton of youtube videos, sat around the house tying all kinds of knots then testing them. I believe I've maximized my time on the water (especially knot tying practice) by doing these things. No, I don't handle a rod as well as a practiced hand. Its tough to be "all that" when you only get on the water once or twice a year. When I go, I always try to be part of 3-4 day private charter. Been a while, my gear is getting a layer of rust.

this 33 lb yellowtail was caught 2 weeks ago. we also caught a 26 lbr and a 19 lbr the day before. I believe the fishing was a little slow because of the new moon but the quality of these 3 fish made the trip worth it. the only bottom fish I really care for is AK halibut. Ono and tuna are also in my top 3. Yellowtail is also a nice fish to grill. we are heading back down on Wednesday. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we will get out on the ocean Thurs - Sat. I will share a report when we get back.

post-268-0-10402800-1428035051_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's a really nice yellowtail. Take that quality any day. They fishing kelp paddies for those or hard bottom structure? What a start to the season!

No kelp fishing for them in mx. The bigger fish were caught early in the morning in about 40 feet of water and about a half mile from shore.

• Like 1

Nice red. I caught some in the high teens in Florida, but they were too big for the slot limit. Very cool fish. Nice thing about the gulf is all the shallow water stuff. Had a blast catching sea trout on light spinning rods one time. When's the best time to catch a Variety out there?

For San Diego I'd say June, July, Aug for variety, but this year who knows. Strange things happen with El Niño. The sand dad trips of So cal aren't bad, especially for kids. They're tiny, but the best flatfish I've eaten anywhere. Alaskan Halibut my buddy brought back was awesome too.

I'll be in Nor Cal for a month in a few weeks. We may go rock fishing out of Bodega bay, I'll post pics if we do. Get some big lings up there making it bearable.

Same months in the Gulf are prime. We have caught reds tho throughout the year sometimes,

Once again, not comparing the valuxury of your opinion to mine, just trying to point people in the right direction of Southern CA.

I'd love to here your thoughts on when and where to fish off of Louisisna. I have a friend that lives in Gulfport MS and have been wanting to plan a trip out there for a while. That's a whole different ball game down there. One day I'll make it over there.

Biloxi Marsh, Lake Borgne and Venice should put you on some good Reds and Specks.

• Like 1