DBArcher

30/30 for elk

I've seen two calves shot with 150gr non-premium bullets and they both took a few shots, placement probably being the more limiting factor. I'd be looking hard at the 170gr Partitions if it were me though.

A 22-250 on elk?! Wow don't know if that's impressive or irresponsible lol

I would not do less then a 243 on elk and that is only if I was good with the rifle and an under 200 yard shot.

A nosler partition would be a great choice for elk.

Sounds like you don't handload, so pick a 170 grain load that shoots well in your gun. Shoot 'em in the boiler room and they'll die. Shoot 'em somewhere else and they're gonna run.

If I were going old school, I'd load my own with a Lee Loader after slugging my barrel to find the proper bullet diameter and use a 173 grain cast flat nose from Bear Tooth.

I just ordered a box each of the federal and the Barnes. Im going to take them out to the range this weekend and give them along with the Remington 150 gr corelock a try and just see what shoots best. Ill be shooting open sights so 150 yards will be a long poke but I plan on getting much closer. Im letting my wife use my(our) 270 for the hunt. Ill have my 300 in camp just in case but im pretty confident I can get into 100 yards of a cow. Thank you guys for the input and a little bit of a confidence booster. Daniel

O its a cow hunt? I know some guy who used a 22-250 on a cow....he killed it.

jgraffaz. You could kill a cow with a 22 if you hit it right. Why take a chance with small caliber rifles . 30/30 have killed many elk and it's a fine choice. Core-loct should work fine. IMO

i've shot a lotta stuff with a .30/30. 170's are like throwing rocks. really. there ain't any way to make em perform well. way slow, don't open up well, rainbow trajectory. i'd stay 150 or less. you'll have more energy and shoot flatter. another way to look is the leverevolutions. they really perform well in everything i've seen em used in. but stick with rib shots or in the neck, if you are a marksman. lots of elk are killed with a bow. i think an ol' .30 is better than a bow. punch one in the lungs and they'll go down. Lark.

• Like 1

I have a ton of sentimental value to my lever guns as well. So I used one on my coveted kaibab tag last year. Smoked a decent buck at 300.

I have seen 30-30 take elk before.

I would have zero problems shooting an elk with my old 30-30. But like archery, and everything else, practice to comfortable ranges and shot placement is everything.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, I think it STUPID to use anything smaller than a 243 on an elk, a 30-30 would be an awesome round to use and I hope I can do it some day with my old marlin lever 30-30. Good luck, shoot straight!!!

• Like 1