DBArcher

30/30 for elk

Looking at taking my 30/30 out for elk this year, if I can draw the tag. I know there are better calibers out there and I own a few but taking this gun is more a sentimental thing for me as it was my grand fathers. Im looking at limiting my shots to 150 yards or less. I have shot the Hornady lever revolution ammo out of it with good results on mule deer, but not sure on the bullets performance on elk. Also just saw on midway that Federal loads a 170 gr nosler partition and Barnes loads a 150 gr flat nosed triple shock. Has anyone had experience with this or a suggestion on which bullet to try. Thanks Daniel

The only thing more bad a$$ than killn a big bull with a 30/30 lever action is killing a lion no dogs with a 30/30 .....off the back of your horse

• Like 3

Second to partitions(maybe), I've gotta believe that corelokts have killed more elk out of a 30-30 than any other bullet. Because of the low velocity, over expansion shouldn't be an issue. Since you're going old school, why not make it legit and pick up one or two of the ever so faithful green and yellow boxes. Can't go wrong with partitions either just giving you another option.

• Like 1

My uncle kills roosevelts in Oregon with a 30-30 all the time. Not sure what load he's using though. Keeps shots under 100 yards.

.30/30 velocities are so low i don't see where you'd get any advantage out of partitions or other "premium" bullets. (premium=way more expensive) Sierra makes a .307 diameter 125 gr flat tip hollowpoint that is made specifically for tube magazine .30/30's. i started using them about 40 years ago and that's all i've loaded since. expand well and the extra velocity hotrods it up a little. i'd think it would be a good choice for elk. i assume you're using a model 94? only thing i've used leverevolutions in is .44 mag revolver and .45/70 lever. they'd be a good choice too i think. 170 gr perform really poor. not enough velocity to hit very hard and have an arc like a rainbow. be interesting to see how you do. Lark.

I just ordered a box each of the federal and the Barnes. Im going to take them out to the range this weekend and give them along with the Remington 150 gr corelock a try and just see what shoots best. Ill be shooting open sights so 150 yards will be a long poke but I plan on getting much closer. Im letting my wife use my(our) 270 for the hunt. Ill have my 300 in camp just in case but im pretty confident I can get into 100 yards of a cow. Thank you guys for the input and a little bit of a confidence booster. Daniel

I just ordered a box each of the federal and the Barnes. Im going to take them out to the range this weekend and give them along with the Remington 150 gr corelock a try and just see what shoots best. Ill be shooting open sights so 150 yards will be a long poke but I plan on getting much closer. Im letting my wife use my(our) 270 for the hunt. Ill have my 300 in camp just in case but im pretty confident I can get into 100 yards of a cow. Thank you guys for the input and a little bit of a confidence booster. Daniel

O its a cow hunt? I know some guy who used a 22-250 on a cow....he killed it.

If my muzzle loader will kill an elk then your 30/30 should be able to. Limit distance and look at a good bullet, which it seems like you are doing both. I am not the most graceful person so if I can get to within 20 yards bow hunting then you should be able to a lot easier.

• Like 1

I too plan to use my Marlin 44mag, if I ever draw a rifle tag, that my brother gave me years ago. It has special place in my heart because of who gave it to me an because it was made in 1974, the same year I was born.

I have a certain ridge picked out that is that is thick with cover, so thick that it is hard to see 50 yards in most places.

You will have a huge distance/range advantage over me.

I am very interested in hearing how you do....so keep us posted.

More D