hawkeye

Look out for outdated glue at Sportsmans Warehouse

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2 ounce bottle of Bohning Power Bond glue at the Sportsmans warehouse in Mesa. After driving home about an hour and a half I opened it to fletch some arrows and it was dried up. I mean hard as a rock. I called the store and they said they would send some new to me. Well they called back and said that they opened several bottles and found only 2 that were not dried up. She said that it was brown and like honey. I used to run an archery shop and there is nothing worse than fletching arrows with outdated glue. I told her that it was old and wouldn't work. She refunded my money and I ordered from another store.

The reason for the post is to inform others to check out any fletching cement they purchase from Sportsmans Warehouse before buying. I have no problem with the store, and I will be a customer in the future. I just think who ever runs the archery dept. doesn't know the importance of not selling outdated glue to archers.

I'm not sure if they make custom arrows there, but if they do it makes you wonder what quality of glue they use.

I may be the only one, but before I buy anything I check it. Whether is be glue, paint, or anything else that can go back I open the package and make sure it's still good. I bought some expensive clear coat hardener from a paintshop in Phx, and when I got home it was also solid. :angry: If it's good I just buy the one I opened, but if it's bad I report it. Sorry to hear about your luck. :(

I may be the only one, but before I buy anything I check it. Whether is be glue, paint, or anything else that can go back I open the package and make sure it's still good. I bought some expensive clear coat hardener from a paintshop in Phx, and when I got home it was also solid. :angry: If it's good I just buy the one I opened, but if it's bad I report it. Sorry to hear about your luck. :(

Just wanted everyone to be warned. After all the their glue was bad I thought people should know to check. They must have a stock rotation problem. It takes quite a while for glue to go bad.

Has the company changed packaging recently?

Stuff like that does happen from time to time. I used to work for a parts store and the paint supplier changed packages for the little bottles of touch-up paint. After 3 months in the field, lots of complaints were rolling in from all over that the new stuff all dried up. The report was the bottles were tested, but with enamel based paint, not laquer based which ate the seals...

Sure someone got canned for that screwup.

Food for thought often takes a while to digest...