Not very often do I see a Gila Monster, lived here all my life and have seen less than 20 (a guess). Yesterday while out scouting for javelina, went on a 5 mile hike and saw two. Amazing how different the markings are when you look closely. These two were found about 3/4 mile apart.

post-6038-0-71554300-1424210890_thumb.jpg

post-6038-0-67210300-1424210947_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Very cool. Have yet to see one in the wild.

Awesome!

Very cool! I saw several the other day as well but I was looking for them! Never tire of seeing the Halloween Geckos!

Gila Monsters have always fascinated me. I have only seen one ever. Unfortunately when I did find it, it was dead. Someone took a rock to its head. :angry:

Love seeing those guys. Used to see them all the time going up to Bartlett lake before all the houses got built out there.

Very cool! I saw several the other day as well but I was looking for them! Never tire of seeing the Halloween Geckos!

My hat is off to ANYBODY who can go find a reptile with regularity, especially a gila monster. Most gila monsters I've seen have been in late winter or early spring. They've all been sluggish. A friend tells me gila monsters can move quite well for short distances. These pictures were taken from about 18". My friend tells me to not get too close as their speed can be surprising. Is my friend correct?

I used to have a Gila monster living on my property in Sahuarita. Saw it for 2 or 3 years in a row, when he came out in the spring. He would amble over to a little drinker I had on the ground for small game. Poked it with a stick once to see what would happen. He was very ornery and strong. Very loud hiss.