Sign in to follow this  
couesarcher

Long Range shooting

You bring up a great point Casey. I'm not accusing you of doing this, your post just reminded me of it.

I think people spend way to much time shooting from a bench and trying to shoot th tightest group they can shoot.

If your a competitive shooter then this is obviously very important.

In the world of hunting however, it don't mean squat.

Just like Casey said he shot a .375'' group at 432 yds. THAT'S AWESOME!!!

Not many people can shoot like that.

But he also said his group was a foot low and 18'' left.

Better than MOA shootng but a missed 124'' double drop tine coues!

Don't get me wrong I see nothing wrong with going out with friends and having a friendly little competition.

I just never hear anybody talk about practicing real life hunting scenerios.

I would love to hear more talk of how peoples one shot hit the target.

Casey, don't take this the wrong way cause you'd probly smoke me at any shooting competition.

if you're gonna shoot long ranges, or short or intermediate ranges for that matter, you better spend a lot of time on a bench. you don't get to know your rifle shooting rocks. it's an excellent way to practice, after you know what your rifle will do, but the only way to get your gun dialed in is on a bench. with a bipod and a calibrated scope, there isn't much difference between shooting in the field and on a bench. shoot a bunch on the bench, get your gun zeroed then go to the hills and shoot some rocks. i learned to shoot running targets by shooting jackrabbits. till i started to feel sorry for the rabbits. poor lil flopears anyways. shooting off a bench isn't the same as shooting in the field, but it means a lot more than squat. that's where you learn to breath, learn the feel of your trigger, how to keep your eyes open, all the stuff that is real important. good shooting takes practice and lots of it. you can get your rifle zeroed to the point of perfection, but if you don't practice with it, you're just hurting yourself. Lark.

p.s., i knew tha banjo boy would pick up on my poor mexican spelling.

Lark, Figured you put that up on a silver platter for me!

Jason, no offense taken! ( it was a 3.75") group

i was also shooting off of a polecatr tripod and was not very steady. the group could have been luck as i didnt feel very confident with the shots. Dougs rifle was very steady ( his stock design is greatly different from mine)

This ought to eliminate any doubts about killing power at 500 yds. My Nosler reloading book says 150 gr. loads from a 30-30 Winchester would give you roughly 2000 fps and 1000 or ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. A .270 shooting 130 gr ballistic tips at 3100 out the muzzle will easily deliver 1000 ft-lbs at 500 yards. So at 500 yards your .270 is roughly similar to shoving a 30-30 into the deer's ribs and squeezing the trigger.

I know a 30-30 is pretty much a joke out West, but they will kill deer. Nuff said about that.

Like the guys said, it's all about hitting the vitals at 500 yds. That's really hard to do and should be preceded by much practice on the bench and at coyotes in the field.

Very well put Lark, I agree 100%!

I'll even do you one better. I like to put the rifle in a gun vise and shoot it off a bench when I'm trying to sight in and get to know a new rifle.

I'm talking about after you've already done all this.

You never hear of to many hunters practicing sillouett shooting.

Plinking rocks is fun but I'm talking about shooting at a sillouett target the size of a coues deer. No dot to aim at, and no bench just like you would in a real hunting situation.

Most guys who do practice do what you said Lark. The problem is they stop there instead of taking what they've learned and applying to real life scenarios. Then they wonder how they missed the buck.

My whole point is you can shoot under MOA groups out to 1000 yds. all day long off a bench but that doesn't mean your capable of shooting a deer at 300 yds.

Practice real life scenarios and you'll be a better hunter. ;)

P.S. I know I miss spelled sillouetts.

Lark, Figured you put that up on a silver platter for me!

Jason, no offense taken! ( it was a 3.75") group

i was also shooting off of a polecatr tripod and was not very steady. the group could have been luck as i didnt feel very confident with the shots. Dougs rifle was very steady ( his stock design is greatly different from mine)

Casey, That's what I said. ( 3.75'')

Good to read this thread, appreciate the comments.

I have been successfully shooting a 30-06 for 25 years for elk and deer, but am thinking of getting a 300 Win Mag to improve odds for the longer shots, like 400 yards and then unsure if it's practical to go any further.

Any opinions if there is a substantial difference between the two to justify upgrading? Considering bullet would be a good long range factory load, 130 or 150 grain, boat tail.

The balistics charts that suggested two feet or more seemed nearly too much to hold high, so good to learn I can get the better scopes that will compensate for this to then hold dead on.

Cheers, Mike

Atypical, this is just my opinion and I'm sure others will be different, but you can take it for what it's worth. First off lets just be clear on one thing... if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle then don't let me talk you out of it. Go for it!

To me if you've been shooting a .30-06 for 25 years why change now? Especially if you're only stepping up to a .300 win mag? In my opinion a .300 win mag is only a slight upgrade in velocity and energy from a .30-06. Consider your ought six is probably shooting factory loads in the 2800 to 2900 fps range. A .300 win mag will shoot the same loads 3000 -3100 fps. To me you'd be much better off sticking with your tried and true .30-06 and spending your money on a reloading press and developing a little hotter load for the gun you already own. Plus you will more than likely gain some accuracy with your new hand loads as an added bonus.

I just don't see a $600-$800 benefit to stepping up to the .300 win mag when your .30-06 is plenty for what you're asking it to do. Perhaps another caliber with a little more pop if you really want a new rifle?

Good to read this thread, appreciate the comments.

I have been successfully shooting a 30-06 for 25 years for elk and deer, but am thinking of getting a 300 Win Mag to improve odds for the longer shots, like 400 yards and then unsure if it's practical to go any further.

Any opinions if there is a substantial difference between the two to justify upgrading? Considering bullet would be a good long range factory load, 130 or 150 grain, boat tail.

The balistics charts that suggested two feet or more seemed nearly too much to hold high, so good to learn I can get the better scopes that will compensate for this to then hold dead on.

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

If you are getting into long range hunting to shoot accurately then FORGET THE NOTION OF HOLD OVER. If you have a desire to ETHICALLY AND HUMANELY kill big game animals at long ranges you need to get a quality scope WITH TURRETS OR a quality scope with A BALLISTICS RECTICLE. I somewhat agree with TAM that a 30-06 will do......I would recommend a larger caliber for shots over 450 yards. You need a round that has the capacity to project a high BC (ballistic coefficient) bullet at higher velocities if you are going to ETHICALLY AND HUMANELY kill a larger animal at those yardages. A 300 Win Mag will do that for you. Just because one has a nice rifle......he also need to be able to shoot it CONSISTENLY AT THOSE YARDAGES!!!!!!!!!!

Mike,

If you are getting into long range hunting to shoot accurately then FORGET THE NOTION OF HOLD OVER. If you have a desire to ETHICALLY AND HUMANELY kill big game animals at long ranges you need to get a quality scope WITH TURRETS OR a quality scope with A BALLISTICS RECTICLE. I somewhat agree with TAM that a 30-06 will do......I would recommend a larger caliber for shots over 450 yards. You need a round that has the capacity to project a high BC (ballistic coefficient) bullet at higher velocities if you are going to ETHICALLY AND HUMANELY kill a larger animal at those yardages. A 300 Win Mag will do that for you. Just because one has a nice rifle......he also need to be able to shoot it CONSISTENLY AT THOSE YARDAGES!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto, what he said!

Mark

There's no such thing as a quality long range scope under $400 (new). If your serious about shooting long range you need a serious scope.

Any of you guys use a cosine indicator on their rifle.

Any of you guys use a cosine indicator on their rifle.

Yes, I also use an anti cant device (a level attached to your bases)

I have the ACI (angle cosine indicator) made by Sniper Tools Triad Tactial.....it's awesome and built like a rock)

There is also the ACI/ACD made by Horus Horus ACI....the verdict is still out on this one......not to many people have one to see how durable they are.

Do you absolutely need one? NO Can they be VERY helpful? YES

I have a friend that missed a shot at a lion because he was shooting down hill and didn't realized that angle has such an effect.....you need to know trigonometry if your going to shoot long range!

Hey Jason, its its firstcoues, im on my buddys comp :ph34r: .

Just like Casey said he shot a .375'' group at 432 yds. THAT'S AWESOME!!!

see!!!1 :D