J.S.R.

Out of state elk?

Yes Flatlander, there is no northeastern or northwestern ID, just northern ID. It only takes a couple hours to get across if I remember right. The ID panhandle is wild country. Lots of Moose, elk, bears, deer etc. I'd like to make a trip up there again just to see that country. It has that ominous wild feel like your going to get eaten by a Grizzly at any minute.

From what I've seen and heard, definitely not where I'd spend A bunch of time and money on an Elk hunt though.

Yes Flatlander, there is no northeastern or northwestern ID, just northern ID. It only takes a couple hours to get across if I remember right. The ID panhandle is wild country. Lots of Moose, elk, bears, deer etc. I'd like to make a trip up there again just to see that country. It has that ominous wild feel like your going to get eaten by a Grizzly at any minute.

From what I've seen and heard, definitely not where I'd spend A bunch of time and money on an Elk hunt though.

Yes, the ID panhandle is wild country, and not the greatest elk country in the world. However Unit 11 has produced pretty consistently and held together through the wolf invasion mostly because of how rugged the country is. The unit I recommended is not in Northern ID. It is in Southeast ID, which does exist. The wolves are not as rampant in the southern part of the state and Tex Creek has been a solid numbers unit for ID for a decade or so. Last I checked there was only 1 resident herd of wolves and hunters have put some pressure on them since the limits were raised and trapping was made legal. As an Idaho resident for several years we began to see clearly what areas were going to survive the wolf invasion and which were not. Good luck on whatever you decide.

so splitting hairs, technically yes there is no NE ID

but here Friends and I often refer to NW or NE in the panhandle. both have decent elk hunting.

Or NE of the Bitterroots/Clearwater river.

ok, I'm done. No more posting for me.

so splitting hairs, technically yes there is no NE ID

but here Friends and I often refer to NW or NE in the panhandle. both have decent elk hunting.

Or NE of the Bitterroots/Clearwater river.

ok, I'm done. No more posting for me.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I was just trying to be funny. Please come back :)

Iv thought about going up to colorodo but its so dang expensive):

Haha, yeah. I started stashing a bit away here and there last September for it.

This year here in NM, at least the archery hunt I got last year, they combined the hunts. In the unit I went there are two archery hunts Sept 1-14th and Sept 15th-24th so your third choice would have to be a different unit or a different weapon type. Last year the number of tags for the first and second hunt totaled 150 tags or 75 per hunt. The third hunt, more timed for the rut, had 50 tags or 200 tags for all three hunts. Now the first hunt has 125 tags and the second hunt has 75 tags. I think they pretty much did this to all hunts for archery. Still 200 tags but this means all the draw results you can look up online are going to be useless.

Also since our legislative session just started, on the committees they are moving wildlife under agriculture. This means that all wildlife issues will not be heard in its own committee. The landowners, who I have nothing against, have a huge lobby here. Think about how many tags will be going to landowners now instead of public land draw. I can just imagine half of the public land tags getting reallocated to private land. I hope that is not the case but I am holding my breath to see what happens.

If you are wanting to see elk and trophy quality isn't at the top of your priority list colorado would be my choice. They have the highest elk population in the U.S. and have tons of public land to roam. Another option is my home state of Utah. Choose a limited entry unit to put in for in the draw and while you wait the necessary years to draw you can spend a couple years learning the unit during the general season archery hunt in which your allowed to shoot either a spike or cow.