J.S.R.

Out of state elk?

My Father and I have decided we are going to hunt elk out of state this year while we patiently build points here in AZ. Anyway we came down to either hunting Wyoming or Montana. Maybe even Idaho. We have don't have any points built up or any experience but just want to chase some rutting Bulls with our bows. Looking for any input. Which state and why. Anyone who has done a trip like this themselves and what we can expect. We are completely aware the success rate for a hunt like this is not the highest but if we can at least chase some bugles and have some encounters it will be well worth it. Thank you in advance for any input!

Idaho General A Tag for Tex Creek Zone.

Fly into Idaho Falls via allegiant and go East 30 miles. Elk country. Buy a wolf tag and you can also get an archery any deer tag for the same time frame. Good luck!

• Like 2

Start buying points in Wyoming! You can go on a general hunt for Bull almost every other year in the rut!

• Like 1

Montana sucks IMO for the general tag. You can easily kill a cow, but Bulls are hard to comeby. Plus it's mega expensive. I'd imagine WY and ID are better bets.

How about Utah? I have been thinking about this as well. Colorado maybe?

NM.

Buy a point in WY and you can hunt the general tag their the following year.

Good to know. Is NM otc?

The last 3 years, the impact of the wolves in ID had its effect and continues.

I knew several hunters that quit going to ID. They now apply for the Montana non-res draw.

One of the group still goes Idaho, but he has great access thru private land that borders wilderness. When the seasons start the elk usually increase in his hunt area, escaping public land pressure.

And even he complains of how the numbers of elk have dwindled in the last 7 years!

In the ID northeastern units toward Montana, you will deal with grizzlies. Yeah, the big dangerous don't give a crap for you kind of beast.

I've hunted WY and CO, so my choice would be either. Apply for AZ each year, mostly just hopeful thoughts.

So now I hunt my WA area and have good success. But elk season is restricted there to general season for spike bull only, cows and multi point bulls must be a draw tag. The elk get pressured greatly as archery starts in September, muzzleloader in October and rifle in late October/early November. You must choose one method, unless you draw the multi season tag ($1000+ for non resident) plus the elk tag itself, for a total of around 1600-1700 USD.

I knew several hunters that quit going to ID. They now apply for the Montana non-res draw.

One of the group still goes Idaho, but he has great access thru private land that borders wilderness. When the seasons start the elk usually increase in his hunt area, escaping public land pressure.

And even he complains of how the numbers of elk have dwindled in the last 7 years!

In the ID northeastern units toward Montana, you will deal with grizzlies. Yeah, the big dangerous don't give a crap for you kind of beast.

I've hunted WY and CO, so my choice would be either. Apply for AZ each year, mostly just hopeful thoughts.

So now I hunt my WA area and have good success. But elk season is restricted there to general season for spike bull only, cows and multi point bulls must be a draw tag. The elk get pressured greatly as archery starts in September, muzzleloader in October and rifle in late October/early November. You must choose one method, unless you draw the multi season tag ($1000+ for non resident) plus the elk tag itself, for a total of around 1600-1700 USD.

you sandbagging? i think i might put in for north eastern idaho

That is a solid region, it's sometimes also called Montana.

• Like 1

That is a solid region, it's sometimes also called Montana.

interersting. maybe ill look into that

I have a friend that lives right up near the Idaho, Montana, Canada border. Awesome country up there.

UT is tough, but you can apply every year for a zone and go hunt spikes to learn the zone until you draw. I have friends living all over the area of UT from Price up to Vernal. I've seen monster Bulls just going to and from work. Easier draw than AZ, but it's still going to take a while and plenty of research.

NM is not OTC, but you get 3 choices when you apply....

As long as you are smart about how you put in, you should draw.

Better hunting than OTC in CO, ID, etc... IMO