Sign in to follow this  
elpepe25

Can you carry a pistol while archery hunting in Az.??

Can you carry a pistol while archery hunting in Az.?? if so what are the rules? can it be unconcealed or concealed if you have the permit?

Can you carry a pistol while archery hunting in Az.?? if so what are the rules? can it be unconcealed or concealed if you have the permit?

Welcome to the boards......look in the upper right hand corner of your screen.....it says "SEARCH"......this button is your friend. ;)

To answer your question.....yes you can. Is is border line legal/illegal......yes. Is the game warden gonna nail you on it.....depends on his mood.....most likely not, especially in southern AZ where there are lots of drugs, illegals and crazy activities :angry:

Happy Hunt'n!

I believe last year G&F approved the carrying of handguns during archery hunts. 6" barrel length restriction and has to be open sights.

From Hunting Highlights, Feb 2006 http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/highlights/highlights_0602.html#2

"Archery-only hunters can now carry a non-hunting handgun for protection

The October issue of â€Hunting Highlights“ reviewed the legality of carrying a handgun during an archery-only hunt. The rule at that time was that hunters participating in an archery-only hunt could not possess a firearm, even if they had a concealed weapons permit.

Since that time, the Arizona Game and Fish Department has issued a directive allowing hunters participating in an archery-only hunt to carry a non-hunting handgun for personal protection and safety. As a guideline, a non-hunting handgun shall be defined as a handgun with a barrel length of 6 inches or less that does not have a scope or any type of electronic device.

Handguns meeting this definition may be carried during an archery-only hunt for personal protection only. They may not be used to take any species of wildlife while participating in an archery-only hunt."

RR

Thanks for that link Redrabbit, Ive been looking for that for awhile. I printed that and put it in my backpack, just in case I run across a GF officer whos having a bad day and "doesnt remember having seen that"

I believe last year G&F approved the carrying of handguns during archery hunts. 6" barrel length restriction and has to be open sights.

From Hunting Highlights, Feb 2006 http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/highlights/highlights_0602.html#2

"Archery-only hunters can now carry a non-hunting handgun for protection

The October issue of â€Hunting Highlights“ reviewed the legality of carrying a handgun during an archery-only hunt. The rule at that time was that hunters participating in an archery-only hunt could not possess a firearm, even if they had a concealed weapons permit.

Since that time, the Arizona Game and Fish Department has issued a directive allowing hunters participating in an archery-only hunt to carry a non-hunting handgun for personal protection and safety. As a guideline, a non-hunting handgun shall be defined as a handgun with a barrel length of 6 inches or less that does not have a scope or any type of electronic device.

Handguns meeting this definition may be carried during an archery-only hunt for personal protection only. They may not be used to take any species of wildlife while participating in an archery-only hunt."

RR

That last sentence is an important one to remember.

Thanks for posting that Doug.

awesome, thanks for the help guys a i really appriciate it and thats a great idea carrying it in your pack.

thanks,

Rob

can Someone tell me where I can find this in the regulations that it is legal to carry a handgun while archery hunting?

can Someone tell me where I can find this in the regulations that it is legal to carry a handgun while archery hunting?

TALK ABOUT A JUNKIE

This tread is 2 years old :P

I see Doug is working on it for you ;)

I have a copy in my wallet :rolleyes:

TALK ABOUT A JUNKIE

This tread is 2 years old :P

I see Doug is working on it for you ;)

I have a copy in my wallet :rolleyes:

I printed that same link also but I would like to know where in the regs someone help. :(