Sign in to follow this  
shanehamblin

Load info question

25/300 RUM? Holy crap... never heard of that.

Id think rl 25 & 33, possibly h1000 & us 869 would be your friend... for about 500 rounds before it's time for a new barrel.

• Like 1

lighter bullets take more powder to push them. I know it sounds opposite of what you would think.

I would look at some 7rum load data, and try to go from there. Maybe look at difference from 300 rum to 7rum and go from there

Maybe look at the 257 Hot Tamale? This is built from the STW I think

www.reloadersnest.com has one load for .257-300RUM. An 85gr. CT Silvertip over 105gr. US 869 @ 4265fps...

This could be the absolute ULTIMATE antelope round. But better get load development over quick. I would think barrel life would max out at 500 rounds.

I hope your buddy got the rifle with a new barrel. I would love to see it shoot.

Edited by lancetkenyon
  • Like 1

Yawzer that's a hot cartridge. I'm thinking minimum RL25 but 33 and RL50 are probably more appropriate as is H50BMG. That much powder down that small of a hole will need the slowest possible powder. I hate to be the kill joy of the bunch but I think 500 rounds of good consistent barrel performance is a bit optimistic. It'll be fun and cool for sure though!