Sign in to follow this  
couesnewbie

Spotting Scopes

Being new to coues hunting and the area, I been trying to talke to people about there hunts. The more I talk to people, I've heard that a spotting scope can be invaluable for looking accross canyons. I've never used one as I grew up hunting Blacktails in the thick Oregon brush. What are some things to look at while purchasing a spotting scope? Magnification, durability, cost? What specifications seem to out weight the other? Any information would be great.

Welcome couesnewbie, I also grew up in Oregon hunting blacktails (Junction City). Basically it boils down to $, the more you pay the better the quality. Good spotters start around $1000.

What is something usuable for a first timer, but not so expensive? Is a zoom good to have?

AZpackhorse- hunted Willamette valley around same and the hills east of 1-5 north of Eugene

I agree with bullwidgeon. Get a set of binos. then get a tripod from amanda on this site. You will do best with the kind of set up that most of us use. The only thing I use my spotter for is to get a beter look at something that I want to score first, And even then last year I never got it out of the truck. I just used my binos to do the job. My back felt much better last year for it to.

Edited by ARIZONA GUIDE

As mentioned above, buy the best pair of high power bino's you can afford. Use them to glass for hours at a time and your eyes won't strain as bad as trying to keep one eye closed while looking through a spotter. Many of us actually carry both a high power set if bino's for glassing, then we get out the spotter (40-60 power) when we find a buck we want to take a closer look at. Get the bino's and tripod first, then buy the spotter down the road.

How much for a tripod on this site. I need a tripod for my 8 x 42 wind rivers. I know that they are not great for couse because they lack power, but they are crystal clear and get the job done.

For reasonably priced 15X binoculars, try the Minox or Docter brands for around $700(half the price of the Swaros). Binos are a lot more comfortable to glass through for hours on end than squinting through a spotting scope.

I have the Velbon Chaser EFL-4 tripod which I got for around $130 with head. I really like that its legs are adjustable outward and it is easy to sit under. Slik came out with a good tripod with outwardly adjustable legs that is about a pound lighter. Stay away from the $30 walmart specials as the plasit leg brackets break too easy, and the legs don't swing out wide enough.

couesnewbie

I would try to get the zeiss classic 10 x 40`s from cabela`s for $699.00 and a tripod from Amanda. Then down the road you can get a tripler from zeiss for around $279.00 that screws right on to one eyepiece for an instant spotting scope. Actually the 10 x 40`s will do a real good job just by themselves for several years. Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck Coues Addict

I use the Leupold 12-40X60mm spotting scope. I've used this bad boy for several years now and love it!!! It's up over $800 now but I have never regretted buying it. You can never underestimate the awesomeness of good 15X binos though. I take both with me everytime I get out of the truck, unless I'm using the south side of a bush for something else of course. I have used the WalMart $30-40 tripods for years now and love them. Like Doug said though, sometimes they don't spread out enough but for me I'd rather spend the $$$$ on the Wally World tripods, I get about 2-4yrs use out of them and that's good enough for me. If you've got lots o dough then spend the big bucks and get anything you can from Amanda's site.

Josh Epperson

Guest Ernesto C

Younghunter,email Amanda and she'll give you the price for tripod,adapter etc.etc. is not expensive.

God bless.

Ernesto C.

I have a pair of Pentax 16X60. You sure could spend more money but they work good enough. I also bring a tripod too. That is the only way to glass for deer.

I have a spotting scope to but I don't care for them at all. The biggest problem with them is that you can only use one eye and the other eye gets tired. So I use one pair of binos. I used to carry my tripod but it seemed like I never really used it. If I see a buck that I want to score I always try to get closer. If the buck is big enough for me to think about scoring him then I want to get close enough to shoot him too. Not to mention it is easier to score an animal closer.

End result. High power bino's and a tripod work great for me.

Later,

recurveman

Thanks for all of the good info. :D I can see the point about binos being easier on the eyes. I'll have to get a pair and run and scout out 36B a bit the next few months as I have never hunted there before.

Newbie: I am originally from Olympia Wa and understand hunting the brush for blacktails. Everyone who has said get good bino's is right. I have swarovski 10 & 15's but spent a few years saving up. I know there now is Zeiss 15x45 for 550.00 that are american made and I would look into those if Swaro's are out of question for you. I think a spotter is great for field judging but most of your hunting will not be field judging but rather "finding" the bucks. I think your best money is not on a spotter but on great bino's/Tripod. Allen.......