Sign in to follow this  
couesnewbie

Spotting Scopes

RECURVEMAN

DO YOU LIKE THOSE PENTAX 16X60? HOW ARE THEY IN LOW LIGHT SITUATIONS?

I'VE LOOKED AT THE NIKON ACTION 16X50, BUT I'M KIND OF UNDECIDED ON WHICH TO BUY. CAN YOU SEE CLEARLY THROUGH THOSE PENTAX WITH THEM MOUNTED ON A TRIPOD?

ALBERT

DESERTBULL YOU ARE RIGHT I EVEN PACK A BACK UP OF THOSE WITH ME. HAHAHA.

Grande bear - I love my Pentax. I'm sure there are more expensive glass out there but they seem to work great for me.

My buddy has a pair of 8 or 10 power Nicon's that I think are the best glass out there. But he told me they ran in the $1600 range. I can get a pair of pentax for 10% of that. I guess it just depends on what you want to spend your money on.

The pentax aren't as good in low light conditions. I think the main reason is the power. I have a pair of junk 10X 50 bushnells that work much better in low light. But I would doubt you would be able to shoot when I can see through my bino's.

I love looking through binos on a tripod. I don't see how people look for coues without a tripod. I just seem to pick up the small movements I can't see when I'm just holding the bino's in my hands.

Later,

recurveman

i would recommend Leupold for optics. They have done a great job for me. I have the Wind River sequioa 15x-45x, i love it it has good clarity, its light, and is just pure quality. I spent $300 bucks, and i luv it

here's a pickle I need help with.

HAve used a 20x20-50 spotting scope for a while. Just acquired a pair of 15 x 70 binos with tripod . Think I should keep the scope I'm not sure

i figured you would say that. Truth is its one of those Yukon/Sriba Russian jobs. Not really that great but I got used to it. My motivation is I only have the two eyes and the binos are pretty strong. I guess I'm just gonna carry one more piece in the pack.

GRANDE BEAR;

im using the nikon action 10-22x50's....they are prety nice and for me they eliminate the need for a spotting completley....the only bad thing about them is they arent water and fog proof

Live_2_Hunt

I agree with everyone that Binos on a tripod is the best to start with but a good spotting scope definately helps. If you already have a spotting scope and get tired of closing one eye then try getting an eye patch. It makes a huge difference.