Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Barrel break-in results

First off, I'm a novice or less when it comes to reloading or accuracy, so I'm just the messenger here, reporting the results that I got. Target was 100 yds out.

When I first shot my accurized .270 WSM Winchester, I knew it was a lot different/better. My break-in was to shoot 15 rds of factory ammo, cooling and cleaning the barrel after every 5 rds. Then shoot 4 different reloads, cooling/cleaning the barrel after 5 rds. The 1st round being a fouling round, plus 4 more for each powder type. All reloads carried a 130 gr Nozzler accubond bullet.

The first 5 reloads had 63 gr of RL22. The fouling shot is the right one.

post-736-0-68459600-1417396147_thumb.jpg

The next 5 rds had 64 gr of RL 19. The fouling shot is on the upper right.

post-736-0-54473900-1417396390_thumb.jpg

The next 5 rds had 64 gr of IMR 7828. The fouling shot is-you guessed it-the upper right one.

post-736-0-00140200-1417396691_thumb.jpg

The last 5 rds had 61 gr of IMR 4350. Yep, the fouling round was high right.

post-736-0-54427700-1417397049_thumb.jpg

So the main thing I was sure of after all that was, MAN my shoulder hurts! Plus I was ready to go home, have a beer and watch the Cardinals game. As far as which reloads to go with, I think the IMR 7828 has the best grouping.

After I get more reloads, I'll have to go out and do the final sight in. This rifle is the one I'll use on my Mexico coues hunt after Christmas.

Good luck to all you late hunt tag holders!

I would interpret those targets the same - IMR 7828 looks the best. Are these loads you had worked with before? I'm curious why you took the approach you did?

• Like 1

I would interpret those targets the same - IMR 7828 looks the best. Are these loads you had worked with before? I'm curious why you took the approach you did?

Like I said, I'm a novice. I had a friend load them, to find which grouped best. I take it there's a better approach? Someday I'll get i to reloading and learn more about it. Thanks for the reply.

Now just have him load 7828 at different powder charges 3 rounds at one charge and 3 at another so on and see what charge works well on groups. Make sure he keeps the oal the same throuout. One more day of shooting about 12 rounds and you could be half on group size.

• Like 2

There are a lot of methods that will work, just some are more component intensive than others. Load development can get pretty ridiculous depending on your goal. Mulepackhunter's method is probably the most common and given that you already have data to work with it may be your best bet now. Wayno945 mentioned ladders (Audette Ladder Method) which have worked well for a lot of people. Another method is the Optimal Charge Weight Method (OCW) which I've been playing with recently and is working out well. Below is a OCW workup that resulted in an accuracy node at groups 9 and 10 that gives me wiggle room with charge weight and ambient temperature.

post-5295-0-05057500-1417409762_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Cousetracker, you are getting good feedback. The only thing missing is a discussion about seating depth. IMHO this is more important than powder charge. You can measure your rifle's unique COL to ogive with special tools or without. That being said, I would be happy with your final group for a hunting gun, so why bother. I measured it with On Target Software and this is what I found.

While thinking last night about how envious I am of your shooting I realized I neglected to set the scale on your target. Here is the correct measurement. Sorry, but this is still sub MOA, which I continue to be envious about, just not as much.

post-4523-0-59596400-1417963950.jpg

Hi Cousetracker, you are getting good feedback. The only thing missing is a discussion about seating depth. IMHO this is more important than powder charge. You can measure your rifle's unique COL to ogive with special tools or without. That being said, I would be happy with your final group for a hunting gun, so why bother. I measured it with On Target Software and this is what I found.

That's very cool Whitesheep. Would you use that target software on the best target results, I think it's the 3rd one.

Sure Couestracker, Here it is with the correct measurement. I thought this looked a little bigger, but this is still OK in my opinion for hunting accuracy, but I am not envious of this one.

post-4523-0-89817100-1417964209_thumb.jpg

I highly recommend this software. It is only $12 and has no expiration date so it is forever

That's a nice looking rifle, by the way.

i can't see it.
It was pictured in earlier post, "out breaking in the barrel".

post-736-0-65816600-1418226421_thumb.jpg

Now just have him load 7828 at different powder charges 3 rounds at one charge and 3 at another so on and see what charge works well on groups. Make sure he keeps the oal the same throuout. One more day of shooting about 12 rounds and you could be half on group size.

I'm going to have some loaded per your recommendation MULEPACKHUNTER. I nailed my Mexico buck fine (new avitar) but still want improvement on longer shots.

Thanks, Tommy