Nice looking deer. If you look at photos of live deer and live coues deer, the ears are usually pink. i used to always think that they were too pink also (same with javelina noses and inside of mouth), but started looking at live photos. the reason that they look less pink or almost cream color after you kill them are 1. they don't have a heartbeat circulating blood through their bodies anymore

2. All their blood is on the ground or in their chest cavity

Their circulating blood is what makes the pinkish color.

Just my 2 cents, being a taxidermist myself. I had to start to look at live photos to get my references right. Congratulations on the deer and start looking now at live photos also for how you might mount that toad deer that you kill in 2007!

You bring up a good point but I wonder how much the natural sunlight has to do with pink ears.

If you brought a live buck inside would his ears still appear pink?

Amanda, you guys have a point about the light factor especially in the summer or early fall when the hair on the back of the ear is very thin. Also, the more hair in the ear gives it a more white appearance since the inner ear hair is white (Most of the time). The other thing is alot of coues deer have a darker skin tone (pigment??) on the outside edges of the inner ear. Some more than others. On my work, I don't pink it up too much (but definitely some, to give it the "living" touch), so it doesn't take over or really stand out. It should be a subtle hue, so people don't focus on that instead of the antlers and other details on a good mount.

Just my 2 cents worth though???

Shortpants, I also think that alot of the pink color has to do with the season due to a deers natural protection to try to cool itself. In the summer or when it is hot, the small blood vessels in the ears are opened up to allow more blood to be exposed to the outside wind to cool itself. Kindof hard to explain here, but.. When you are outside working in the heat in the summer, you naturally sweat and if overheated, your skin turns really red because of the blood vessels opening up to try to cool yourself with the outside air blowing over you.

Another 2 cents...

Makes sense. Very interesting stuff, thanks for your .2 cents it was well spent!

I'm sure you do good work because it sounds like you do your homework.