Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

More Metate, Manos and Roller Pestle

Guest oneshot

These are all personal field finds by me, from Orange County, New York, around the town of Montgomery.

The Nutting Stone (Stone in hand) was used to shell and grind acorns, made of granite hardstone, tri-angle shaped by peck and grind to fit between your knees as you work.

The flat metate is ground smooth on both sides, the edges show peck and grinding to round shape, made of hard stone.

Mano on flat Metate is worn slick, rounded edges, made of a dark brown/red'ish colored volcanic rock (super rare NY find)...

Roller Pestle is to the left of the Mano/Metate, rounded, high polish working ends, finger indentations, ancient damage that was "fixed" by grinding and use, made of hard stone...

post-1378-0-27869200-1415659247_thumb.jpg

post-1378-0-22383900-1415659263_thumb.jpg

I know a spot where you can find some good indian stuff. I found a cool metate the other day was light weight and was almost completely flat on one side so it looked like it would have been good to work with. did they kept these for generations you think? when I found the one I mentioned the other day I was thinking was this like my great grandmas colander that I have lol.