backcountry_brad

Will 5.56 damage fox?

Here is a video of a coyote I shot in the head with the .17FB. Right between the eyes. Coyote was not ethically dispatched in my opinion and I wont try that again.

Great video. Someday I want to start filming.

I dont know the specifics or circumstances of the shot but it looks as though the same branches blocking the camera shot were blocking yours as well. Did the small .17 pill not penetrate the skull completely? Not armchairing your shot at all, but with your experience with that gun do you think the results would have been more "instant" with a shot 3-4" lower in the neck?

The one down fall I experience with the smaller calibers is the need for a well placed shot. Sometimes as I'm sure you know I have to wait a bit longer for the right angle. I'm not a contest caller so I feel I can afford a few extra moments to wait em' out.

Shot placement is my #1 concern when using any of the .17s. From splashes to unethical kils, the .17 are a gun made for a patient marksman. I don;t know if I mentioned it in this thread but I lost a lion down near Patagonia 4ish years ago. Was shooting grey fox and a lion showed up on stand nestled in the Junipers. I let him get as close as I could as I knew the .17 FB was going to have to work a miracle. All I had was a head and upper shoulder shot so at 33 yards I zerod on the head between the eyes and the bullet defiantly smacked him in the face as he jumped and flipped all over in the dirt for a while but I was unable to recover him. I think the bullet ricocheted off the skull. On the coyote in the video, my angle was a bit different than his. I didn't have much of a shot and the head was the best spot at that moment. Coyote was looking at us dead center and I expected him to bug out quick. Bullet penetrated but not like what you'd expect. I'd expect an instant death at 25g flying at 3900.

You the same Wumpuspus cat that is or was an active military guy down South? Didn't I meet you at an ATA sale? You're a fan of sleepy creek footholds?

I'd expect an instant death at 25g flying at 3900.

I would too, thats why I was intrigued. Never ceases to amaze me what those little bullets will and wont do when they are screaming down range.

You the same Wumpuspus cat that is or was an active military guy down South? Didn't I meet you at an ATA sale? You're a fan of sleepy creek footholds?

Thats me, Strawberry or ATA sales or conventions, bumped into ya several times. They messed up and sent me overseas again this year so I spent most of last season at schools on the east coast. Made it to the sale this year and sold everything I had during all the "no sales", lol. I was leaving and had fun collecting what I brought. Success!

I dig the #4 Creek Double Longs for an exposed pan cat set. For everything else canine I am a modified #3 Bridger guy. Only lug around cages cause AZ makes me. ;)

I'd expect an instant death at 25g flying at 3900.

I would too, thats why I was intrigued. Never ceases to amaze me what those little bullets will and wont do when they are screaming down range.

Thats me, Strawberry or ATA sales or conventions, bumped into ya several times. They messed up and sent me overseas again this year so I spent most of last season at schools on the east coast. Made it to the sale this year and sold everything I had during all the "no sales", lol. I was leaving and had fun collecting what I brought. Success!

I dig the #4 Creek Double Longs for an exposed pan cat set. For everything else canine I am a modified #3 Bridger guy. Only lug around cages cause AZ makes me. ;)

I thought this was you. I took all the cats and foxes I had and dumped everything at the last ATA sale as well. I think I made out fine, but my fur was way before all the no sales came up and Ron had to get up and lecture everyone. I know some good fur that either no saled or got pennies on the dollar due to the buyers working together to walk away with lots of nice fur for a song and dance. The Briarpatch sale in Kingman did no better or even worse. NAFA might have squeezed out a little more cash but money in my hand quick is worth a percentage of my profits.

I appreciate the sacrifices you go through serving in the armed forces. You guys doing what you do, enable hunters and trappers all over the United States to enjoy the freedoms we do in a round about way. No trapping overseas?

.17s are a real blast to shoot. I've shot grey foxes broadside and 15 yards and had no visible entry and no exit. Pick em up and it sounds like a slushy mess inside. Instant death. Here is a fun video. 2 foxes and 1 cat on 1 stand. 1 fox I shot though the grass on and missed. 25g at 3900 fps can't go through anything and expect the trajectory to go haywire or the bullet fragment. Bobcat was recovered a little ways away.

• Like 1

That is a awesome vid. You have alot of your hunts on vid?

No, not a lot. Half a dozen. Also some bloopers. Called in a fox to 5' and forgot to load my shotgun. My flinch when I pull the trigger is classic. Few fox doubles on video, 1 triple on video.

Lots of these videos are quite old.

This coyote growled and bit me on the leg so I stopped and set up my phone/camera thinking he'd try to bite me again.

Bad camera work but a triple on fox.

Coyote attacks my grey fox taxidermy decoy. I get so excited I cant even shoot straight. LOL