backcountry_brad

Will 5.56 damage fox?

It will damage a fox to death. I love the .223 for varmints. As for pelts, take a look at some of the recent "triple" threads.

• Like 1

FMJ bullits are not legal to take wildlife in this state.Read the game and fish regs R12-4-303.I would agree with patrickjr .The 17hmr is a good choice if your saving the fur.I use a shotgun for taking 90% of the fur bearers I take.

• Like 3

FMJ bullits are not legal to take wildlife in this state.Read the game and fish regs R12-4-303.I would agree with patrickjr .The 17hmr is a good choice if your saving the fur.I use a shotgun for taking 90% of the fur bearers I take.

i pulled down that post so that i wasnt suggesting anything illegal. but what ive read is that i may not take wildlife with "full-jacketed ammo designed for military use".... is all FMJ ammo considered "designed for military use"? what if it was reloaded at my house with the intention of target shooting? please help as it seems that they have created a gray area...

I suck at all things ballistic, but am now a bit curious regarding the non-use of fmj bullets to take game in AZ. Do fmj bullets wield too much power, giving hunters an unfair advantage over our game, or are they too weak, which would result in lots of wounded and missing animals?

It has nothing to do with power or lack of power. It has to do with the performance of the bullet once it hits the animal. They do not expand and leave the same size entry and exit hole. It would be the equivalent of shooting a bow with field points instead of broadheads.

• Like 3

Some FMJ is legal to hunt with. I always thought it wasn't until a guy I know (new to hunting) asked if he could hunt with it and I said no. He showed me a box of FMJ ammo that said "for light thin skinned game" so we took it to the G&F and they said yes it was legal. With that being said I would not recommend killing an animal with an FMJ.

I believe most varmint loads are designed exactly the opposite way. One hole and dump all the energy so there is no exit hole. Is there a reason to punch a hole through them? Just smaller holes left in the pelt?

• Like 1

Varmint bullets are frangible and pretty much explosive on game. They dump all of their energy almost immediately, and come apart like no other. Causing massive hydrostatic shock and internal damage upon expansion. Have you ever shot a jackrabbit with a high power round with varmint bullets? It is a sight to see.

I would highly doubt ANY manufacturer of ammunition for the specific purpose of taking game would load an FMJ bullet. If it says "for light thin-skinned game", I would bet it was either a small hole hollow point bullet or a lead nosed bullet.

Not all 5.56 rounds are FMJ either. I have seen plenty of boxed and head-stamped 5.56 (not .223) that are either hollow point or lead nosed bullets. Those would be perfectly legal and ethical to hunt with.

My last comment would be the fact that an FMJ bullet does not expand and dump energy into a game animal. I am not saying that it will not kill the animal, but not quick enough to ensure a humane and ethical kill. Which is every hunter's responsibility to the game we pursue. Unless it is a headshot.

Back to the subject at hand. A .223 with the correct bullets will work fine for fox. I would think a 36-40gr. varmint bullet would be fine. Or a heavier hunting bullet designed for penetration and not explosiveness, like a Barnes, Berger VLD, etc. in a slightly higher weight. My daughter shot a javelina with a .223 this February using a 69 SMK, and it has a 1/4" entry, with a $.50 piece sized exit hole. Pig went 30 yards.

"I would highly doubt ANY manufacturer of ammunition for the specific purpose of taking game would load an FMJ bullet. If it says "for light thin-skinned game", I would bet it was either a small hole hollow point bullet or a lead nosed bullet."
Winchester white box 45 acp. and not a hollow point of lead point

"Winchester white box 45 acp. and not a hollow point of lead point"

That's a pistol. Like apples and oranges there.

If your trying to save hides, there are much better calibers. If you reload you can cook up some good pelt savers no problem.

A thin skinned fox is hard not to blow to pieces. I shoot BB at em and the 204 does the job as well but just plan on throwing a few stitches in em with whatever you shoot em with. No head shots!