Sign in to follow this  
jhedg

Mule Deer range

I have found that mule deer, deer, can be found repeadately in the same places ... however we don't shoot does. I rarely see a mule deer buck in the same place two times. The only exception to this rule is during the rut where they are never any further than a wieners length from the does (that don't travel much). After that they are nomads again.

Just my experience

Mule deer never cease to surprise me. There have been occasions where I have seen bucks and never seen them again. Like it has been said before, it all depends on the conditions. If there is good food and water near by, they can hold pretty tight depending on pressure. During the rut is a completely different story. On one occasion, I saw a buck in the same exact draw, three times in three weekends holding with does. On another occasion, I saw the same buck twice within a couple weekends in a one mile radius.

I was following a nice 2x3 before the season. Then the season started and gone. No idea if someone ever got him or what. Of course with the youth hunt and a whitetail hunt prior, all the traffic probably pushed him into the flats or deep canyons.

I would love to see a big buck as well as some does and smallbucks tagged with trackers and see during a year period what there patterns are. I bet it would be pretty interesting.

Similar studies have been done all over the country (including AZ) but usually they are not targeted at viable hunting populations with study objectives being strictly biological/ecologically driven. If you can track down a funding source, ill carry it out