Sign in to follow this  
jhedg

a pistol

I was talking to a guy at work, and he told me you cant have a handgun on you while you hunt deer, I told him he was crazy!!

but he insisted he was right. I thought I would run that by you guys

I was talking to a guy at work, and he told me you cant have a handgun on you while you hunt deer, I told him he was crazy!!

For hunting or for personal protection during rifle and or archery seasons?? I think they used to say no but rescinded that. Always thought that was a stupid rule. If your gonna poach or do it illegally, those rules arent going to stop you.

I have bagged three deer with a .357 handgun. it is a leathal legal weapon.

i guess technically a revolver is not a "pistol".
Mabee not but your my new hero

For hunting or for personal protection during rifle and or archery seasons?? I think they used to say no but rescinded that. Always thought that was a stupid rule. If your gonna poach or do it illegally, those rules arent going to stop you.

You are correct. The law used to be in place, but several WMs would look the other way if you were in a border unit, "unless it was a scoped Redhawk" (one WM's words to me once). The law was rescinded several years ago and you can carry any firearm you want while on a hunt. We've had this discussion in several hunter ed classes.

Bet him $100 that he is wrong. You'll have some extra cash in your pocket :D .

I had a question on the same topic.

I was glassing for some friends on opening weekend. They had tags, I didn't. I was in a rush out the door and didn't bother bringing sidearm. I ventured off on my own and ran into quite a few of these fresh and wish I would have.

Would I have gotten any grief for having a firearm and no tag?

post-5874-0-25468800-1414511033_thumb.jpg

I was glassing for some friends on opening weekend. They had tags, I didn't. I was in a rush out the door and didn't bother bringing sidearm. I ventured off on my own and ran into quite a few of these fresh and wish I would have.

I don't leave camp without a sidearm period. Whether I have a tag or just out helping a friend scout/glass. I always have a sidearm, especially in the southern units.

The same goes for the concrete jungle as well.

You shouldn't be getting any grief over carrying your sidearm. Tag or no tag, You are legal to carry.

• Like 1

no tag needed for rabbits and coyotes! :)

Uh....that's wrong.

Wondering WTH sjvcon is saying is wrong .... A license is all that is needed to take small game not a tag ... A pistol can be carried at anytime for protection or hunting small game .... TO CYA make sure you have a license and you will not have any trouble ...