Sign in to follow this  
corkin it

Beanie Question

Hey Guys, I've got a question about beanies. When I make the treck up to my glassing spots I sweat like crazy. I end up having to change headgear and shirts due to how much I perspire. Guess I have a good cooling system. Anyway.... I was wondering if there is a beanie or stocking cap on the market, that while hiking really does get rid of moisture. It would be nice to hike and still keep the heat in. Thanks, for any advice, Jake

sportsman's has Turtle Fur brand products. They make a hat similar to an under armor material. I just replaced mine with this, after loosing a different brand on my elk hunt last year. This one has a thicker "cuff" or rim, but not bad for a skull cap.

here's the turtle fur link:

51OI%2Bl2FzdL._SS192_.jpg

http://www.turtlefur.com/b/5553083011?field_subjectbin=&field_generic_text_3-bin=&field_fabric_type=&field_style_name=&field_price=&field_color_map=&field_generic_text_2-bin=&searchRank=price-desc-rank&searchSize=12&searchPage=2&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cgeneric_text_3-bin%2Cfabric_type%2Cstyle_name%2Cprice%2Ccolor_map%2Cgeneric_text_2-bin

Take it off when you hike and put it back on when you are stationary. You sweat to cool the body, so allowing the head to cool will help regulate body heat. Or wear ear muffs only if your ears get cold.

Wear layers and shed/add layers as needed to keep from sweating in the first place. Sweat stinks, no mater whether you can smell it or not. Game can. My goal is always to keep warm without sweating.

• Like 5

Yes take it off. when I start hiking I'm freezing, about 100 yards later I'm good. I usually hike in the least amount of clothing possible.

• Like 3

I wear as little as I can when I hike into a glassing area because I know I will be heating up. I may be cold for a few minutes but once you get warmed up it isn't bad. Then once I set up to glass I put all my extras on to keep me warm.

Edit : I was writing while firstcoueswas80 was hitting enter apparently.

Hey Guys, I've got a question about beanies. When I make the treck up to my glassing spots I sweat like crazy. I end up having to change headgear and shirts due to how much I perspire. Guess I have a good cooling system. Anyway.... I was wondering if there is a beanie or stocking cap on the market, that while hiking really does get rid of moisture. It would be nice to hike and still keep the heat in. Thanks, for any advice, Jake

If you sweat that bad and are in shape, you might want to go get a physical, you might have high blood pressure.but like others have said don't wear it up the steep mountains, take it off wear a ball cap and put it on when you get to your glassing spot.

You are dressing way to much.

Get a physical.

Start earlier.

Take your time.

When you start to sweat, stop and cool down.

Loose the hat.

Heat rises.

Save that sweating for the gym.

But most of all.

Here it comes,,,

Don't hike to the point where you sweat, unless it on a final, imperative stalk (not stock) or back to camp to get that last beer.

• Like 4

Thanks for the input. I guess I new the answer but needed to hear it from others. I do hike to fast. Need to slow it down and not get lathered up. Good luck this season people!!!! Thanks, jake

in addition to not wearing a hat when you hike, also try not to wear gloves. as stated before, wear as little clothing as possible while you are hiking. when you get to your destination, change your shirt, add layers and put on your hat and gloves.

I wear as little as I can when I hike into a glassing area because I know I will be heating up. I may be cold for a few minutes but once you get warmed up it isn't bad. Then once I set up to glass I put all my extras on to keep me warm.

Edit : I was writing while firstcoueswas80 was hitting enter apparently.

We definitely should NEVER hunt together lol!

Ditto on all. When get up at 3am, I put my jacket on and get whatever stuff ready that's needed. Before I start my hike, I strip down to nothing but plain cotton pants (fleece lined if it's real cold), and a short or long sleeve cotton t-shirt. And cotton sucks period, but it works ok in Arizona as long as not real humid, real wet and rainy, or don't sweat alot. I hike my butt off some elevation gaining hill, with or without a pack, and immediately when I get to the top of the hill the first thing I do is take off my t-shirt and put on a thermal long sleeve, and a light wool jacket, wool army cap, wool gloves. I notice alot of others wear their heavy stuff climbing up hill, which is a big no no. Not only do they sweat, and when they get to the top the sweat makes them colder, or the sweat catches wind and tips off the animals with the smell. Hike up, generate body heat. Think about it, you're just an engine where your heart is the RPMs redlining up the hill. As soon as you get to the top, put all your warm gear on and insulate (trap) the heat in. You'll be warm for hours. Alot of guys swear on synthetic camo stuff, and it's awesome, but not all of it is great. Underarmour is pretty good. You can' t beat the lightness (low weight) of synthetic gear. But then again I was in a recent hail storm, in wet wool, and I was warm as heck, while buddies of mine were cold.

Summary: when you hike period, up or down, strip to minimum lightweight pants and t-shirt, no hat unless something light to block from sun. You'll be cold for 5 minutes but will quickly generate heat and be very warm hiking up but not hot or sweating, in other words you will be comfortable. As soon as you stop moving, put all your warm gear on, or the cold will come on fast, and start glassing like crazy. Good luck.

And I know your question was, what beanie can I use I won't sweat in when I hike? But I don't think it exists yet. There are lots of claims out there, but truth is different from marketing hype. Underarmour has some nice beanies. Or go with Army Surplus wool beanies, they're great and only $7. But never hike with them! You don't need to put them on until you quit moving.

Lonne