Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

Got some bear questions

There were bear tracks in an area I was bowhunting in unit 33 at least up to the end of last year. I shot a buck on Dec 28 and there had been snow for at least 3 weeks at that point and I was still seeing fresh bear tracks. I'm not sure about into January I was down low chasing pigs then.

I have been wondering that same hibernation question, so this year I kept my cameras out. Been following this one since September. Temperature is the key to how many pictures. Zero pictures on really cold days.

post-12492-0-03733300-1418553575_thumb.jpg

You don't need snow for a bear to hibernate just cold temperatures. Last winter was so warm there wasn't much of a hibernation season for them.

last year was really warm throughout. i think they went to sleep for a week or two. then we got a cold snap again, don't remember what happened after. but lots of animals that normally hibernate came out extremely early last year as well

I know this post is old but it answers a lot of good questions, and I have more! Gut pilles are good ideas. How should I start scouting? I want to hunt a unit that opens in October and there are a bunch of bears, I get them on camra often but that doesn't mean much other than there in the area? I glassed my eyes out last year but only glassed up one bear a week before the season opend up. How should I scout, the hunt is the October hunt. Especially if they r in the thick stuff eating egg corn in unglassable Country?

Look for trails you might ambush them on. Here in the Gila I found a trail that went between two pine trees about three feet apart in the bottom of the canyon. Each tree had been rubbed smooth by a bear walking up and down this trail. Lots of bear tracks on trail and hair on stumps and bark. I can also tell you Yes bears do ____ in the woods. This trail went from up high in the scrub oak (food source) to water in the stream. This was during the muzzle loader deer hunts when they still had them in September. This last September during the archery elk hunt I had a bear come to water and blow out the cow elk before I got a shot. So look for ambush places as I could have easily killed the bear at the tank with my bow if I had a tag. I also could have easily set up a blind in that canyon within bow range of those two trees. I am more the spot and stalk kind but sitting can pay off if you can find a good place.

• Like 1

Another method is to still hunt based on sound. Bears are noisy eaters -breaking branches when climbing trees to get at acorns or snapping manzanita bushes. Work your way VERY slowly if you know they are feeding in an area and listen intently. Stop OFTEN and for longer than just 30 seconds. Move as soundlessly as possible and listen for them tearing apart logs, rolling rocks, etc. It can work!

• Like 2

Another method is to still hunt based on sound. Bears are noisy eaters -breaking branches when climbing trees to get at acorns or snapping manzanita bushes. Work your way VERY slowly if you know they are feeding in an area and listen intently. Stop OFTEN and for longer than just 30 seconds. Move as soundlessly as possible and listen for them tearing apart logs, rolling rocks, etc. It can work!

Along with figuring out the food they are eating and areas they are in what else should I do to scout?

Pregnant sows will den no matter what. Boars and non pregnant sows will roam long into the winter if there is a food source available. The last handful of years in the teton valley up in WY the last bears of the season were seen on the valley floor in mid January. Trust me it is a lot colder there than hear in AZ. That is both griz and black bear. I have had friends in flagstaff find bear tracks in the snow in their yard in late december and January. I don't think bears in AZ hibernate quite as deeply as other parts of the country. From time to time they will get up and move. Not far from their dens usually but they will move. The same has been observed in the far north of Maine where there is plenty of snow.

• Like 1