Sign in to follow this  
Huntmoore

Two Trophy Years (Picture Heavy)

Last year, my Dad and I were blessed to draw two of the twenty early rifle bull tags in 23N. I know that a lot of folks have been waiting many years for those tags, so I didn't take it for granted that we had drawn the hunt of a lifetime and, most importantly, drawn it together.

It was a memorable hunt and we were both able to harvest bulls a day apart.

My bull...

DSCN1938_zps0cbc8df3.jpg

Dad's bull...

DSCN1890_zpsfae4b686.jpg

Imagine our surprise when my 14-year old cousin, on his first time ever putting in for elk, drew the same tag this year! We waited with anticipation for his hunt to arrive, routinely texting him pictures of bulls to get him to work on field judging and figuring out what he wanted.

The day arrived and we were headed north! Opening morning found my uncle and cousin overlooking some good country and glassing up numerous bulls, bugling and pushing cows around. I arrived that afternoon and as we went out for the evening hunt, the sky opened up and the rain began. This was, hands down, the wettest trip I've ever been on. It was as if the storm would park over top of us for hours. We were staying in my uncle's 1969 Nimrod Seventy pop-up camper...if we had been in a tent, I think we'd have been washed away. Everything we had, whether under a kitchen tent or on us....ended up soaked.

Saturday morning found us glassing some open meadows and watching multiple herds and some good bulls. A friend had let us in on the location of a really good bull, so we moved in the afternoon to the tank where he had been hanging out, only to have him (at least what we think was him) and two smaller bulls bugling toward us before the storm hit again and they shut down. I was able to spot a nice bull bedded with cows at the top of a far mountain before the storm and fog moved in and you could see nothing.

We decided to call it for the day and headed for camp. As we drove out, a good bull crossed the road 10 yards ahead of the vehicle, so we jumped out and decided to go after him. We chased glimpses of him for 10 minutes in the downpour and we just about to call it when I glimpsed a rack just over the hill from us. As we ran over the hill, what a sight we saw. 150 yards in front of us was a barbed wire fence. When I had seen the antlers, it was when the bull was jumping the fence. There were now two 6x6 bulls squaring off in the pouring rain and the sound of the storm was shatter by the first clash of antlers. As soon as I saw them engaged, I yelled to my cousin and uncle to run forward, knowing that their attention was elsewhere. We sprinted to a bush 90 yards from the fence while they battled 5 yards past the fence. Will (cousin) knelt, got ready, and waited. I knew that one bull was the better bull, but the scene was so chaotic that it was hard to keep them straight. I knew at this point that this kid was not going to pass on these bulls and that the scene that had unfolded in front of us was more important than a bull's score.

The bulls separated for a moment, and Will chose the left bull and fired.

Nothing. For a few seconds, they continued to fight and swapped sides again. I instructed will that the bull was now on the right (I didn't want two wounded bulls), but before he could fire again, the bigger bull (now on the left) chased "Will's" bull down to the right and out of sight.

Within 15 seconds, one bull returned to the (now visible) cows and raghorn and they made their way into the thick. Again, we weren't sure that that bull wasn't his target, but didn't want to fire and hit a second bull.

When we got to the fight site, it was torn to pieces...but no sign of any hit. Will started to second guess his shot placement, worrying that the 100yd distance caused him to shoot high. I think my uncle and cousin were ready to concede a miss, but I have heard too many stories on this site to give up that easy....especially with the heavy rain making a blood trail difficult. So, we followed the clear tracks of where the two bulls had run out of sight down about 50 yards until they approached a deep canyon entrance. That's when we looked to our right and saw him piled up under a tree. It was a beautiful shot and apparently the larger bull (which we had seen return to the cows) had chased this bull down the hill until he fell dead, then returned to the spoils. We were able to pack the head and two quarters before the heavy rain and close lightning drove us away.

The next morning, we returned (through a back road due to flooding of Haigler Creek) and retrieved the other two quarters, backstraps, neck, and tenderloins (The gutless method was awesome!!)

Anyway, I know there are many who would roll there eyes at this bull on this hunt. I could argue the weather changed the plan. Or the adrenaline of the moment. But the reality is that the look on Will's face when we found that bull was nothing short of pure joy. This was a 14-year old kid who, until that moment, had been the tag-along....but in this moment had become what I know he will be for the rest of his life. A Hunter.

By all means, draw tags and hunt hard. But don't neglect getting out there with a new hunter. And don't steal joy by imposing your goals and understanding of a "trophy" on to them. Some have said to him since the hunt, "Why'd you shoot a baby?" and the look of embarrassment on his face kills me. To me, it's a trophy. More importantly, to Will it's a trophy. And the way this hunt went down is a story with my family that I'll never forget.

Good luck to all. I hope all of us are able to harvest a trophy that we are as proud of as Will is of this elk! Enjoy some pics!

Elk Camp 2014 (before the weather!)

IMG_1883_zps016b8ff0.jpg

Weather brewing...

IMG_1932_zps060ba647.jpg

The Storm Cometh...

IMG_1888_zps9c98574c.jpg

A Wierd Glow...

IMG_1908_zps3133278f.jpg

They're around...

IMG_1962_zpsa3df577f.jpg

A lone bull...

IMG_1940_zps540da569.jpg

A distant bull (the bodies immediately to his L & R are muley bucks)

IMG_1944_zpse782fb0a.jpg

A Far Off Bugle...

IMG_1960_zpscda2a180.jpg

Where he fell...

IMG_1983_zpsd932edf0.jpg

The load out...

IMG_1987_zps160c2c8d.jpg

Me and the Hunter...

IMG_2033_zpsb27ca112.jpg

Our satirical "trophy shot"...

IMG_2036_zps82defdcd.jpg

Putting the "Elk" in Elk Camp...

IMG_2044_zps35ee788f.jpg

Shaky video of a distant bedded bull...

The shot (sorry...foggy iPhone!)

• Like 5

That is an awesome story, and a great bull! Nothing wrong with that. I bet the memories will stick with him forever. Congrats to the young hunter.

• Like 1

Awesome bull and a dream hunt. I have never listened to elk bugle with a rifle in my hands and I suspect I never will. Congrats on a great hunt and an excellent trophy!

Congrats on a great bull it sounds like you made the most out of your situation.

To a 14 year old boy that is as good as a 400 inch bull and will be a hunt he will never forget. Congrats to him and everyone involved. Remember, it's not about what someone else would have killed.

That bull is larger than any of my bulls! I would have shot it too!

Awesome bull there's nothing wrong with that elk at all congratulations to your cousin i'm sure he'll never forget those memories you guys made for him on that hunt and congratulations to you and your dad as well two years of some awesome elk hunting memories at that i'm sure it can't get any better than that maybe It can get lucky and pick up another early rifle hunt next year awesome job on help your 14 year old cousin great pics with a great story