Sign in to follow this  
twigsnapper

A little 6b elk success

We had two bull tags and filled one. It was a fun hunt overall but there were people everywhere! I shot this bull on 18th. The elk were not very vocal throughout the hunt. For the first few days we kept getting busted by cows so I went back to Phx on the 16th because of rain and work and picked up a cow elk decoy. I am convinced the only reason I got close enough to this bull was by using the decoy. I slipped in silent on a couple bugling bulls and kept the decoy between me and the bulls. I held the decoy in one hand and my bow in the other. After blowing out a few cows and working the wind for an hour I finally got just ahead of the bulls. I was lucky enough to stop this bull with just enough room to shoot between two trees. I tried to cow call to stop him but I ended up having to give the MHHT, like you see on those whitetail shows to stop him. The shot was good and he only went 75yds. This was a bit of a redemption bull for me, in 2012 I lost a bull here in AZ that I thought I hit perfect and then last year in Wyoming I hit a bull a little high and after waiting for 3 hours we lost his track in the blizzard that rolled in and dumped 10" of snow on Sept 21st. All in all this year was a fun hunt and I couldn't ask for more, just less people.

post-5591-0-38203000-1411945146_thumb.jpg

post-5591-0-32469600-1411945440_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice job man!

Nice bull! Wanted to see your decoy, too!