Sign in to follow this  
FirstBlood

What is the story in unit 8

I'm taking a buddy up to 8 for a muzzleloader hunt ,which I know very well and I have my key spots..but have not been up since archery elk started ..Dont like to intrude on others hunt..if you know what i meen...Just curious What are the herds are doing... Are they moving, staying put,sleeping ,dancing,,heavy bugle, lite bugle...or are they just as confused as most hunters....I know most years the rut usually picks up in the 3rd week of sept..If some body has a update and let me know what im up against so i can help a friend with his 1st big game experience....THX...

Look at my post the rut . We were on big bulls everyday , they exercised us well. They are not on fire yet. You should be golden.

I took a 5/5 out of there Saturday morning at day light. I moved in on a bugle and started cow calling very light for 15 seconds or so and the woods exploded with bugles at least 6 bulls screaming and my buddy glassed at least ten but he was on a knob above where I shot mine. As soon as i shot mine it ran about 15 yards then started walking like nothing happened of course a nice 340ish 6/6 walks out and started to walk right next to mine with an arrow stuck in him and they walked about 5 yards apart untill I lost them as they crested the ridge.

The rut is stArting to kick in. We were in elk pretty much every outting. But the elk are being heavily pressured. And of coarse you got the guys on the Polaris bugeling, waiting 10 seconds and starting the engine back up and putt down the road 1/4 mile and do it all over again. It was getting the elk very educated and making them shut up. Also, I never got the point of going out at 1am and bugleing the roads. It was ridiculous. The elk are not gunna be where u heard em at 1 am. 3 to 4 miles is nothing to an elk to cover. But I thank you for not intruding on the archery hunts! Wish more people thought like that.

AND TO THE JACK WAGONS THAT TRIED TO BREAK INTO MY TRUCK AT CAMP SUNDAY MORNING WHILE WE WERE OUT ON FOOT PUTTING IN WORK. I HOPE KARMA SERVES YOU UP A COLD & MOLDY HELPING OF TAG SOUP AND CHIGGERS FOR WEEKS!

The rut is stArting to kick in. We were in elk pretty much every outting. But the elk are being heavily pressured. And of coarse you got the guys on the Polaris bugeling, waiting 10 seconds and starting the engine back up and putt down the road 1/4 mile and do it all over again. It was getting the elk very educated and making them shut up. Also, I never got the point of going out at 1am and bugleing the roads. It was ridiculous. The elk are not gunna be where u heard em at 1 am. 3 to 4 miles is nothing to an elk to cover. But I thank you for not intruding on the archery hunts! Wish more people thought like that.

AND TO THE JACK WAGONS THAT TRIED TO BREAK INTO MY TRUCK AT CAMP SUNDAY MORNING WHILE WE WERE OUT ON FOOT PUTTING IN WORK. I HOPE KARMA SERVES YOU UP A COLD & MOLDY HELPING OF TAG SOUP AND CHIGGERS FOR WEEKS!

My buddy was up there and said that there were a few bears that got into camps and were in coolers and so on....I wonder if I would rather have bears or thieves,, I think bears are just hungry the others i think we can go on and on about until we are blue........As in bugeling goes, i dont do it , i think most people are just giving up there position...... And i have a few elk under my belt...Soo .Keep it simple Stop ,Look, and Listen...And luck might be on your side......well im going to start packing the last of stuff.... Hope we will smell the fine oder of black powder on friday morning ...I cant wait to see his face when i hand him the classic buck knife and tell him to go to it.........To me its priceless to watch peeps do it for the first time....Makes me smile now ...Lol...Greenhorns....Goodluck everybody

• Like 1

That sucks! I hate thieves. Now I'm gonna start setting up trail cameras around my camp!!
  • Like 1

Heard some not so positive stories coming out of that unit this year from stolen stands to way too many helpers and numbnuts driving where you aren't supposed to. Sounds par for the course these days which is terribly sad. All that considered you still have an elk tag in God's glorious outdoors. Hope you guys make the best of it. Good Luck!

I was in unit 8 for opening of archery deer had some idiot drive right thru my camp while I was out hunting. came back to camp in the evening to find tire tracks 2 feet from my truck it was so wet & muddy that weekend that he made 2 huge ruts about a foot deep and 20 yards long thru the grass. There wasn't even a road my truck was parked at the end of the camp site. I have no idea what this idiot was doing I inspected all my gear & tent to see if they tried to steal anything all was ok. The stupid part was my camp was about 60 yards off the main road.

It was the same for me. We were 80yrds off the 73. Nothing taken from camp either. My truck lets me know if there was a theft attempt. Alarm must have sounded and spooked em. Didnt notice other treads though.

I got up here yesturday evening and believe it or not it's pretty quiet .. Not alot of traffic not yet anyway... That's one thing I like about muzzle , not alot of yahoos do it.. Little more die hards... Has for the elk , heard 0 bugle in evening .. But from 4-8 A.M it was active ... 8:01 nothing like they all got drunk and passed out...it's actully pretty warm up here .. Might have somthing to do with it... Tomorrow it begins....

we hunted it for 12 days. It was on and off. One day absolutely on fire the next not a peep. Got into a lot of different bulls just still hunting. Would say about 50% were not with cows. Yesterday morning they were on fire again. With this storm moving in tomorrow might be what they need to kick it in to gear. It was a very warm hunt. Most years we have hunted early september we atlas needed a jacket in the mornings. That was not the case this year. Some days were down right hot. I think after the storm your going to be in for a good hunt. Good luck.