Sign in to follow this  
Dustin F

First go at DIY euro mount

Sounds like a lot of wins In a short amount of time. Bull down, rack on the wall, meat in the freezer and back to work to make that money for you and the boss man!

• Like 2

For anyone interested in doing their own, just a few pointers that I may add...When you boil a skull, don't use a rolling boil; a simmer is all that is needed. A hard boil can mess up the bones and teeth. Also add some sal soda to the water. A cup or two should do. It will break down any flesh and turn it into a jelly like texture making it easier to remove. Sal soda is commonly available at the grocery store called Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda. Also when you are done boiling it, soak it in some water with a cup or so of Dawn dishing washing soap for a day or so. It will pull the fat out of the bone that can later discolor the skull. I like a natural look on a skull, but if you want the bleached look, use the hydrogen peroxide that is available at a beauty supply place that girls use to bleach their hair. It is a powder that you mix with water to make a paste that you paint on the skull, and rinse off after a few hours. Repeat as neccesary.

You can save a lot of money doing your own euro mounts and it is only a few hours worth of work.

OP, You did good and the skull turned out great.

• Like 1

Looks like a great job! Congrats and thanks for sharing the process you used.

Ha ha thanks I try to keep little man around the outdoor scene as much as possible so maybe instead of asking for an x box he will ask for some new binos or a new dozen of arrows instead at least that's the goal

• Like 1

Did you use peroxide in the boil?

I did not use peroxide I put about a cup of bleach and about a cup of royal purple degreaser in with the water and to clarify it was not a rolling boil either just on the verge of a boil but more of a simmer. Once the skull was clean I changed out the water and allowed the head to soak in cold water with another cup of bleach to help kill the smell of any residual material and bacteria