Sign in to follow this  
couesnewbie

Coues with a 30-06

Grande Bear

Albert, here is a load that I have used for over twenty years out of my .270 and it hasn`t failed me yet. Oh ya I have missed a few but that was just shear nerves, not the loads fault. I chronographed this load @ 3150 fps from my gun. It is also very accurate. Winchester brass, CCI large rifle primer, 58grains of IMR 4831, 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip. I seat all my bullets .030 below the lands of my particular rifle. Try it you may like it! works for me! Note: I used to use nosler solid base bullets before they came out with the ballistic tips. Either one works great but now I prefer the ballistic tips because they don`t get dinged up carrying them around in your pockets or in your pack. Good Luck Coues Addict

i shoot a 30-06, this gun is my baby so i know it and shoot it well. my grandpa and i hand load my bullets 2 grains hot which gives me about 100-150 more fps withouth causing damage to the gun. i shoot 125 grain ballastic tips. my first deer, i shot through the shoulder at 400+yards and it totally blew out the frnt shoulder and dropped him(it wasnt the first shot). this load is what i shoot for coues no mater what. im my opnion, besides lots of practice, good glass is the most important part of shoting well, if u cant see it you cant shoot it

casey

I use a 270 now, but my first two deer I used a 30-06, I killed on of the deer at over 400 yard with the 30-06 with factory loads 150 grain remington. I killed a deer this last year with my .270, and I don't think the 30-06 did any more damage to the meat thatn the .270.

I've shot 2 Coues with my Browning 30-06 using 150gr Federal Nosler Ballistic Tips...one at 199 yards (thank God for rangefinders!) and one at 100 yards. Both fell with one shot and had minimal meat damage. These bullets are accurate out to 400 from my gun, but I've yet to harvest a Coues at that range.

Grande Bear

I killed my dear at 425 yards with factory Remington Corelokt bullets 130gr. I am grouping about the size of a tennis ball at three hundred yards. I shoot a ruger .270

Edited by 110orbust

Hey Coues Addict. That's the same exact load that my 270 prefers :) . It's taken a couple of whitetail. Do you have those cock pheasants penned up? The way my GWP jumps for Frisbees, I won't need a shotgun on birds :) . Take care.

Doug/RedRabbit