Sign in to follow this  
Dustin F

Bulls shut down like a light switch

Yesterday I was on elk from 4am to noon with bulls screaming as late at 11:30 am then got back on the heard at 4 pm till dark had a ton of oppertunities yesterday passed on a couple bulls one being a good 5/5 at 50 yards broadside only passed cuz the heard bull was coming right at me had him at 80 yards but he never turned to give me a broadside shot then went back to chasing his 60+ cows. Today whole different world out here not a single peep out of a bull can't find the heard at all pretty sure there in this same area cuz I was on them till dark and didn't bump them out what are your guys tactics when they stop like that and don't move around all day I have been glassing since 8am and have not seen one single elk any input would be great this is my first time with an elk tag so any advice is awesome thanks in advance.

Keep at it, you'll find them. It only gets tougher after opening day. They go from no pressure to a forest full of hunters educating them real quick.

• Like 1

happened last yr, out of the 2 weeks there were only 3 days of hard rut, thats why i'm pumped for my 22s muzzy hunt in 2 weeks, thyll be screamin

Yesterday I was on elk from 4am to noon with bulls screaming as late at 11:30 am then got back on the heard at 4 pm till dark had a ton of oppertunities yesterday passed on a couple bulls one being a good 5/5 at 50 yards broadside only passed cuz the heard bull was coming right at me had him at 80 yards but he never turned to give me a broadside shot then went back to chasing his 60+ cows. Today whole different world out here not a single peep out of a bull can't find the heard at all pretty sure there in this same area cuz I was on them till dark and didn't bump them out what are your guys tactics when they stop like that and don't move around all day I have been glassing since 8am and have not seen one single elk any input would be great this is my first time with an elk tag so any advice is awesome thanks in advance.

It happens don't freak. Tomorrow or the day after will be better.

• Like 1

I agree, don't panic. It gets better as the season goes along. It's also supposed to rain and get cooler in the middle of the week. That will help also. Keep after them, you'll get your chance.

• Like 1

Yep temps pretty high! I know I was cold sleeping friday night and last night I was hot. so... yep things got kinda quiet. pray for cooler weather cuz them bulls dont wanna do any of their business and be gettin a heat stroke while doin it

Well I pulled out hope I made the right choice I traded my days off this week for next week I'm going back Friday staying till Thursday now so hope they get a little more fired up i missed a shot on a bull at 15 yards because I had my driver sight adjusted down for a 70 yard shot the night before and never put it back and flew one right over his back

Too bad about the miss. Must have made you sick. The 2nd week is always better in my opinion. I had a bull tag 3 years ago where you are and they didn't start going crazy until the last 2 days.