Sign in to follow this  
creed

Rain is coming!

Just read the NWS forecast for this coming week. They are calling for some heavy prolonged rain starting late Friday/Saturday into Tuesday for most of the state. Last year was a slophole where I hunted. I am expecting the same this year. Should make it an interesting hunt!

Bring the chains, shovels and a good jack. Learned last year that they are a must!

post-3211-0-47292400-1409753006_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm headed up to 1 this weekend for 5 days of scouting for my hunt next week. Anyone able to give me a good idea what to expect for some of the roads up there? Obviously some will be mud holes, but what about some of the "main" dirt roads around the greens peak or escudilla area? I'm about to see them in the rain for myself, but if anyone has experience with what they do when wet it would be nice. Pretty much just don't want to get 15 miles back and then have to wait a week for it to dry out enough to drive home. I'll be in an AWD suv, so it will be just enough traction to get stuck good, but not enough to get out.

PMs welcome if you feel better about that.

Looks like if things line up right You guys could get a Butt load of rain from them 2 tropical storms. Be prepared............BOB!

• Like 1

The weather forecast discussion I read this morning said the atmospheric moisture was going to reach record proportions for this time of year. My concern is national forest road closures. They can and will do it. I spoke with the Coconino NFS office this morning. They are not at this time planning any closures but if the forecasted amount of rain happens they aren't ruling it out either.

I've gotta hunt!

I've seen too many times forecast for amazing amounts of moisture and it not happen.... I hope this time they are RIGHT. We need it.

I'm headed up to 1 this weekend for 5 days of scouting for my hunt next week. Anyone able to give me a good idea what to expect for some of the roads up there? Obviously some will be mud holes, but what about some of the "main" dirt roads around the greens peak or escudilla area? I'm about to see them in the rain for myself, but if anyone has experience with what they do when wet it would be nice. Pretty much just don't want to get 15 miles back and then have to wait a week for it to dry out enough to drive home. I'll be in an AWD suv, so it will be just enough traction to get stuck good, but not enough to get out.

PMs welcome if you feel better about that.

Prepare for a wet campout. Roads ... you should be ok. Lots of all weather roads in those areas. Use common sense on the others. Bring rain gear and rubber boots. Cool, wet weather usually touches off lots of bugling. Have fun.
  • Like 1

Glad my inlaws live in alpine and I don't have to tent it this year.

I sure am reading this thread elkaddict. Why do I need a umbrella for? Don't you have a roof on that porch of yours? I had planned on sleeping in and sitting in a rocking chair waiting for that lily eating bull that's been eating out of your garden. I even have a pallet of lily flats ready for the bait site to keep his attention.

• Like 2