Sign in to follow this  
Alpinebullwinkle

Horn Quality This Year ??

Just wondering what all the elk hunters that have scouted this year are thinking the horn quality is compared to past years. For me it seemed that last year was the best elk and deer horn quality I had viewed in about 40 years. This year appears to be an "average year" based on what I have seen so far..... IMHO. What do others think of this years horn quality?

What do you mean exactly by horn quality? Like how large are the antlers, or how dense or some other qualify you consider optimal for horns?

I think it is pretty much common knowledge that there has been much more rain at better times this year for horn growth than last year, but I have a feeling you may be wanting something else? It is an above average year for horn growth for most of the state. All the ungulates I have seen the last few months in northern Arizona have looked quite plump around the belly as well. No lack of feed.

where i hunt, the rain came a little late for the elk it seemed like, so they have average-decent antler growth. the rain seemed to be just in time for the deer, and they are having a great year. all the bucks i watch have put on a lot of growth since last year

• Like 1

I agree it will be a average year which will be a good year! I think it is quite interesting that when the hunt is over and s few hunters will state there was not enough water this year so they did not kill big bulls.

• Like 1

I agree it will be a average year which will be a good year! I think it is quite interesting that when the hunt is over and s few hunters will state there was not enough water this year so they did not kill big bulls.

That's a logical excuse lol ill have to remember that one on couple weeks lol

• Like 1

Sneaker I was referring to the shorter main beams and the tops perhaps not filled out as much as last year's record year IMO. Around Alpine we had a dryer than normal spring, but the monsoon since July 4 has been good with +10" of rainfall. That rainfall might have come slightly too late to repeat a second record year of horn growth is what I am asking for others endorsement or difference of opinion.

If the animals have access to water does this make a huge difference? Is it the food source from water that we feel causes a big change?

Seriously asking not being a smart a$$.

I am really curious because areas with light hunting like the res always have big critters every year in my experience.

• Like 2

Even during the dry times we have accessible water the animals can travel to without too much effort in our area. Therefore I'm guessing the moisture content in the grasses and browse is more of a determinant in horn quality.

The local water hole does not determine antler growth obviously or there wouldn't be a fluctuation from year to year in growth. Rain is the main factor, and determines the quality and amount of feed they get. Lots of early rain equals good antler growth. All about the timing of rain in my opinion, from there it's the nutrients of the feed they consume.

• Like 2

From what I have seen the lack of rain the first half of the year has impacted the units south of the GC at least. The back ends in particular and over all the horns never reached their full potential. This was the case also last year in these same units. With a lot of tanks being dried up the elk get concentrated which means even less feed in those areas. Sept is almost hear and good luck to everyone that has a tag or will be helping out!

A winter with heavy snowfall also has a lot to do with antler growth. growing up in the white mountains, i have always paid close attention to moisture levels and horn growth. i think a wet winter has at least as much to do with good antler growth as a wet summer. also a factor that not many people take into consideration is that on a dry year, the enamel layer of antlers is not nearly as thick and strong as it is on a wet year. this leads to bulls that are busted up really bad. i personally think that is why the bulls in 9 and 10 are usually busted up so bad, as compared to units like 1 and 27. Where moisture really helps animals is plant moisture. just because there are many water holes in an area has nothing to do with antler growth. if there is no moisture in the feed, they don't get the nutrients they need to grow big, STRONG antlers

• Like 1