Red Rabbit

New Coues Machine

man, cant go wrong with the ballistics of a .264... thats what i shoot.. it pushes a 100 grain hornady at 3750-3800 fps...

Doug, arent you using .270WSM brass necked down?

Casey, Yes, but same difference, but easier with the 270WSM. (OK, you caught my one mistake allowed for today <_< )

:) just cause ur on the way over the hill dont mean we (I) can let it slide ;)

whats the case capacity of the 6.5 wsm compared to the 270wsm? i shoot 63.5 grains of H4831sc (as you know) what can ya fit in that case? i imagine its about the as my rifle right?

speeds of that 6.5 are pretty impressive!

Hey, RR.

I was BSin' with Eric (f/Ruffs) yesterday on the phone and I was braggin' up that Purdy Rifle you bought from over there. He thought that was pretty cool! :) Anyhow, sure can't wait to here how well she shoots for ya!

Doug, that's funny you should mention that. I've been wanting to build one for over a year and last month I got started on it. I'm using a Savage actiona and a Lilja barrel. I have the action and the barrel is on order. I've picked up the reamer and dies and now just wait. I am using the Leupold Vari III 6.5-20x40 Long range scope. My gun probably won't be pretty but it will be light weight. The new 6.5 WSM Coues Killer!!! I'll post some photos when it's done. By the way let us know what your setup chrono's and some specifics on it.

These are the Specs:

Speed: FAST

Accuracy: ACCURATE

Powder: what ever Doug wants

Bullet: Whatever Doug wants ( i hope accubonds as im partial to them)

First buck killed: Knowing Doug, it will be a 95"+ at about 500 yards with one shot through the eye! (yes on purpose)

CnS,

Eric did mention that he was talking with someone about the rifle plastered on CWT and was thankful for the small plug for Ruffs. Showed the rifle to him yesterday. He said that he had gotten about 3 Super Grades with really nice wood. My bank account is glad that I only saw one.

Scott,

Are you going to do the machining yourself- reaming, threading, square the action, lap lugs, bolt face, headspace?

I'll pass along any load data when you're ready.

Doug~RR

Doug, sweet gun!! I really like the looks of that one.

I got my action and barrel ordered today.. It'll get here in a week or so and then its off to Match Grade Arms to get customized.. Its a 300 WSM.. bought that 4.5X14 Leupold with the B&C reticle last week at Cabelas in Phoenix to top 'er off with..

You guys need to stop it! Right now! I just got my tax return and I don't need to be building another gun, but I don't have a 6.5 cal any thing! Surely my wife would understand, right?

Kevin

No go on the Hill Country.. they just couldn't do the stock the way I wanted it.. O'Day over at MGA in Spring,TX said no problem.. to send it his way and he'll fix it up right.. Probably going to get the new stock with all the glass bedding and all that jazz, float the barrel, flute the barrel, custom muzzlebreak (maybe), add a Pachmayr declerator, and teflon coat all the metal.. Not a total custom gun, but it'll do.

Like i told ya on the phone Scott, stay away from the muzzle break. recoil of that 300wsm is not too extreme. you WILL regret putting it on there.

That is too dang pretty to carry around in Arizona, at least if you fall down as much as me!

I would appreciate updates on accuracy and barrel life. That is an intriquing round.

I shoot a 6.5x284 and love it. Good Luck!

Tried the 130 gr Scirocco and H1000 this weekend. Not the best results yet, but have more powders and seating depths to play with. This is the load of 65.3 gr H1000 at 3178fps that will have to do for next weekend's Javelina hunt in unit 23. Hopefully the peccaries will show up for the party.

SciroccoH1000.jpg

RR