Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

antelope season is underway

2 yrs ago a buddy's son and his friend shot a 90" and an 86" buck in 19a on the muzzy hunt!

I've got a 19A rifle tag. Hopefully a couple good ones make it past the archers. Three more weeks of archery hunts. After this I think I am putting in for archery hunts only.

Lots of good bucks in 19a. There is always plenty for all seasons. Homework and scouting will be rewarded in 19A. If you have muzzy tag, scout your tail off the last 4 days of second archery hunt. Same with rifle, scout during Muzzy tag. If you put the time in, you will be rewarded with a nice goat.

Are They still charging a ton to get on the Private ranches? Two Years ago they quoted me $1000 and they were only letting on 1 hunter per gun hunt.

Perkinsville told me $1200 this year. I would have paid but I am in 19b

To my knowledge, not one of the bucks over 80 was killed on perkins! As a matter of fact , most have been killed on public ground or Ranches that allow trespass for free!!! Just sayin.

• Like 2

Might be worth cashing in my 19 pts for a quality hunt like that, would love to have a good chance at an archery goat

Mje1. "Quality hunt like that" ain't going to happen in there again for a long time! My guess is the amount of tags in 19 a will decrease by half! At least they should! We still have a week of this archery hunt, then 30 fresh archery hunters take a crack at what's left. After that 15 muzzleloader guys are forced to hunt north of 89a only, then ending with with rifle hunters coming in to clean up any bucks with any age or horn length . I would not want this tag for a long time! I would gladly give my tag back for my 21 points!!

Yeah that stinks having that many killed for sure it just sounds like there is an awful lot of antelope in there for great opportunities. Last year there was 50% success on the second archery hunt but not as good on the 1st so they killed alot last year also. very high success in the muzzy and rifle hunts too so they kill alot of goats there every year. I would never think archery hunters would reach 50% success or higher on those sharp critters just shows how much better people are getting and the equipment improving.

Mje1. "Quality hunt like that" ain't going to happen in there again for a long time! My guess is the amount of tags in 19 a will decrease by half! At least they should! We still have a week of this archery hunt, then 30 fresh archery hunters take a crack at what's left. After that 15 muzzleloader guys are forced to hunt north of 89a only, then ending with with rifle hunters coming in to clean up any bucks with any age or horn length . I would not want this tag for a long time! I would gladly give my tag back for my 21 points!!

Just looked at the hunt survey data from 2007 thru 2011 and they always slaughter the bucks in there on the archery hunts in 2011 it was 86% on the 1st and 75% on the second with 30 tags in both and the years previous there were 40 tags and 40 to 60 % success so maybe it will still be a great hunt for you

I disagree on this. The think I noticed when I hunted that unit was the age structure was very young. I've heard people say that antelope peak at 3-4 years and I believe this, the problem is there are very few 3 y/o bucks in there and the bow hunters mop em all up. There's a ton of 7-10" goats that I assume are yearlings, they get left alone, then a ton of 70-78" goats that looked to me like 2 year olds that I think are what the rifle hunters have left, and a few 3 and 4 year olds. These were the 80"+ bucks that everyone targeted and most of them got shot in bow season, and what was left the muzzy hunters got. I think a few 2 year olds slip through, and those will be the nice ones everyone will target next year, and the yearlings that no one paid attention to this year will be next years standard mid 70's bucks again. I may be wrong on all of this but that's the way it seemed to me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is time for the archery hunters and the rifle hunters to rotate years. with today's archery technology there is zero reason that the archery hunters should get first crack at the big animals. This goes for elk also.

• Like 1

"Internet rumors" Kinda like high school. No checkout. The hunt is doing what it does every year, just this year, a few people from CWT have rifle, Archery and muzzy tags, so it is more highly publicized. As stated above the success rate is right on par with what it is every year. As far as size goes, some nice bucks have been killed, and get killed every year. During ALL hunts.

• Like 1

AZkiller- are you crazy? If you put the same amount of rifle tags on an early bull hunt during the rut, the amount of giants killed would be insane. Same goes for Antelope. From an average of 50% success to around 90%.

• Like 2