Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

cleaning deer - need help please 6A

I've worked very hard at developing my skills to be able to hunt the way I want to. I am lacking in one very important aspect though and that is I do not know how to clean an animal by myself. Up until now, I have been a very good assistant by holding tools, getting this or that, cleaning up, but I've never done more than pull a leg here or there. I have never really "gotten dirty."

I like to have all my bases covered before I go into the field and with opening day approaching quickly, I do not have this very important base covered.

Honestly, I don't have the confidence to do it on my own and I also still clearly remember the coyotes circling my son's elk kill all night long while we had to hike it out of a non-motorized area.

I'm asking for help or ideas. What I really think I need is someone to teach me. Is anyone going to be in 6a north archery hunting opening weekend who would be willing to teach me if I'm lucky enough to arrow a deer or if you arrow a deer, call me and I'll help you.

PS-I read some stories about the guys here teaching their daughters to clean animals. I encourage it strongly. It's very easy to be a "girl" and get out of it, but you aren't really doing her any favors.

• Like 2

The gutless way I think is the best if someone could show you this method

• Like 6

youtube gutless method. There are several videos on it. Pretty straight forward and a lot cleaner method.

YouTube will literally walk you through the whole process. I agree sigh vowell, if you are by yourself the gutless method is the way to go. I always quarter and bone all my meat out before arriving home. I don't like driving a whole carcass around for hours.

As already stated there are many youtube videos that will show you different methods. Outdoor Edge also made a pretty detailed dvd on field dressing a few years back that I thought was very helpful... not the gutless method, but it will walk you through how to field dress and quarter out an animal if you are by yourself. Might give you some ideas that could work for you.

all you need is here.

chop chop.

seems to me the gutless method leaves the filet and the rib meat behind? correct me if i'm wrong? the filet is the best cut on any animal and you can't get to it gutless.

You'll never learn anything on the sidelines holding a leg. You just gotta get in there and do it. The more practice you have the more comfortable you get. Don't be scared of messing it up, Everyone's popped a gut at some point and it happens.

• Like 1

Cleaning a deer is just like cleaning anything else, so one thing I recommend for people who want experience is to go cottontail rabbit hunting or jackrabbit hunting. You can get a lot of experience that way.

The gutless method is the best! Definitely watch the videos and don't be afraid to just try it yourself if you can't get someone to show you. The only real concern about cleaning an animal (besides cutting yourself badly, please be very careful!) is that you try not to puncture internal organs like the intestines, bladder and stomach. But even if you do, you can clean that up and remove tainted meat and still have a great bunch of meat. The nice thing about the gutless method is you never have to handle any of the organs. It's so much easier. Just try and remember at the end to cut along the spine and reach in to tear out the tenderloins. Hopefully the videos show that.

• Like 2

Christina, the best way i have found ours one you cut the animal open, you cut the membrane that separates the guts and the chest cavity. Once you cut that, reach as far up as you can on the esophagus, cut it and pull out! Pretty much everything should follow, but you might need to do a little clean up.

Grab the heart and liver, and get to packing out!

• Like 1

Only thing about gutless is that your leaving some of the best meat, tendorloins!!!!!

JD

You do not have to leave the tendorloins with the gutless method! You just make an incision near the spine and reach in and cut or grab them out. It's pretty simple.

And you can even decide to take the heart and liver after you are done with removing all the meat. What the gutless method does is let you handle all the meat without risk of cutting open any organs. If you decide you want heart and liver, then you can open body cavity and remove them.

• Like 9

Only thing about gutless is that your leaving some of the best meat, tendorloins!!!!!

JD

You do not have to leave the tendorloins with the gutless method! You just make an incision near the spine and reach in and cut or grab them out. It's pretty simple.

Thanks Amanda,

Just now seen a video from Jay Scott Outdoors that shows how he removed it. Yes, very simple technic. I'll be giving that try.

JD