Sign in to follow this  
Brian27

3 - Unit 31 Dec Tags

I got lucky and got myself drawn along with my 2 brother-in-laws. I have not hunted unit 31 but I have a cousin that has, any advice?

I am holding out for a nice buck but my in laws are both looking for their first bucks. I cant spent the whole 2 weeks out there but I am hoping for 8 days of hunting. We shall see... I am so excited...

If you can only hunt eight days make it the last days of the hunt.unit 31 is not what it was deer numbers are down too many dam lions.

I had back to back dec tags in that unit back in the day when they were tough to get (only 50 in those days). I ate one tag and shot my first buck, a two point with eye guards on the second hunt. We saw a ton of bucks and I missed two good ones on that first hunt. Went back with an Oct tag in 2010 and shot my first 80" + buck. We saw plenty of deer and several good bucks.

Those December hunts were where I first fell in love with Couse hunting. It's going to be great. Enjoy every minute.

If you can only hunt eight days make it the last days of the hunt.unit 31 is not what it was deer numbers are down too many dam lions.

Although lions do play a big part of the decline, I would say the biggest problem is the loss of access in the northern portion of the unit. The southern portion gets absolutely hammered.

Stockton pass always has deer and a lot of hunters. Might want to start there. The road up Mount graham will hold a few deer. Get off the road and glass. North part of mount graham is big and pretty nasty country but holds some deer.

Sure wish access could get worked on cause theres a ton of country getting locked up in the northern portion.

We are planning on being out there the whole last week of the year except Christmas day. I want to get out there the weekend before but that will depend on my wifes mood the week before.. :blink:

Get all of your Christmas honey-dos done early. That will go a long way towards getting out the weekend before Christmas. Good luck.

Had the October hunt .. couple years ago hunted Fri-Sun and saw 10 different bucks ... 1 huge one.... we hunted the southern part of the unit... Only seen 4 other hunters that whole trip also ... downside is it was really nasty country...gorges and really thick cover ... both missed our only shots