I'm looking for reloading dies for my ackley improved .257. Before i make my purchase I want to be sure that I'm buying the right dies to make consistently accurate rounds. Would a 2 die set with a full length sizing die and a bullet seating die be appropriate or would I need a neck sizer also? I'm new to the reloading game and I plan to learn how to reload from someone with experience but I want to make sure I buy the right dies for the job before I begin. Does anybody use the lee pacesetter dies? I've for the most part read that they are quality dies but I've read a few negative comments also. They're half the price of the rcbs so if possible id like to start with the lees. I've already fireformed a bunch of brass and I've got everything else but the dies to get started. Any feedback would be appreciated. Any other tips for reloading for the ackley improved round would also be appreciated.

-creed

If it were me I would full length size the first time after fire forming then neck size after that. Neck sizing will result in better case life and will likely be more accurate as the case will be a perfect fit in your action. I would go with either rcbs or Hornady dies and make sure they are the Ackley version as there are other improved versions.

I personally like hornandy dies the best and rcbs next but I have also never used lee, or any other dies. I also have never necked sized brass do to the fact that I load for different guns in the same caliber and I still manage sub 1"at 100 yards. I am no expert on reloading but if you need help getting started let me know. We live in the same area.

I like rcbs dies they are true to the Ackley chamber if it was done right.my buddy has the same Ackley so I will try to get some load data.i grew up in elfrida still go down there all the time.if you neck size make sure you chamber every round before the hunt to make sure they fit.

I have the RCBS 2-set of dies (FL & bullet seating) for my .250 Ackley Imp. and I like it. It is a really old set but still performs flawlessly.

I also have the Redding 2-set for my .25-06 Ackley Imp. and it is even nicer than my RCBS. Better bullet seating die for sure.

I have been using Redding dies for my .257 AI and prefer them to others that I have owned or tried. Make sure that the chamber in your rifle matches the dies--the 40-degree shoulder is pretty much standard, but there are other versions out there. Check with the gunsmith that made your rifle. You can neck size with a full length die, but set-up is simpler if you have a neck-sizing die. The three die sets are more expensive than the two-die sets (mine is a two-die set) and it has served me well for the last 15 years or so. Glad to see a new hand loader coming on board!

I thought that I was the only one in elfrida with access to the Internet. Thanks for all the replies guys I appreciate the feedback. In gonna start with 120 grain partitions because they shot the best for me while fire forming. My wife actually killed her first deer with the rifle with a regular Roberts load. Anybody got any load recommendations? I was thinking of starting with imr 4350 or reloader 19 or maybe some 4895 with 100 grain bullet.