PatrickJr

Predators wanted???

OK, if you didn't know, fox, bobcat, and badger season opens tomorrow!!! I am so excited about this.... although i dont plan to hunt foxes or coyotes at least for another month or two. I was wondering if any one of you would maybe want the foxes that my father, my buddies or i take. We have no use for them and don't really want to leave them for the birds... If you want them to skin, stretch, and sell, just let me know. Like i said, i don't want to leave them when someone can use them for their benefit. You obviously can specify to me the conditions in which you want or don't want them (like really crappy hair, or big hole in skin, etc). i do plan on keeping at least my first bobcat, my fathers first bobcat, any badgers, and any lions. AND i will skin them if you'd like, but im not the best with predators. most would likely like to do it correctly, themselves.

If you have something negative to say about what i am doing here or anything else, please PM me, don't tear me a new one on a public forum.

If you can help me, I/ We would surely appreciate it!

Sorry but, I would prefer if you be in Tucson.

Also, GOOD LUCK TO ALL ON THEIR DEER/ELK/SHEEP/LOPE/PIG/PREDATOR HUNTS THIS FALL!!!

Good luck on your endeavor, im in phx.. badgers are cool I have 2, one called , one right place right time. I didnt taste them , huhh?

• Like 1

Open forum so you get what you get. I won't criticize your endeavor but with me being new to hunting and you being pretty much seasoned compared to me please ex plain your mentality on killing animals just for the sake of killing them?

• Like 1

Open forum so you get what you get. I won't criticize your endeavor but with me being new to hunting and you being pretty much seasoned compared to me please ex plain your mentality on killing animals just for the sake of killing them?

I understand that you arent saying that i kill for the sake of doing so. I dont kill just for the sake of killing, if i did, i would have no problem just leaving them in the field. I hunt these predators because they are fun to call in, see, and you have to come into an animals home and outsmart it in order to be successful. i also kill predators because they take a toll on the deer, quail and cattle in the areas i hunt. the rancher (whom i know) asked that we kill every coyote that we see. i don't believe in killing for the sake of killing, you must have a valid reason. hope this helps... thank you but i wouldn't consider myself a "seasoned" hunter, i'm sure most on this site could school me pretty bad...

• Like 3

Sorry I could have worded this better, I too am in the hunt for some predators and hope to get a few coyotes under my belt, I plan on using them to sack out my mules and tan the hides as well. I was just thinking more like with fox and some smaller predators they are not a threat to livestock or deer much so do alot of guys take them and just leave them? I would think like coyotes are prolific and can effect deer and other game so I can understand population control there but guys that go after fox and bobcat and the like would be using them in the fur trade or for trophies?

Is there such a population of these species that they really need our control hunting to the point where we would let them lay like a coyote?

Like I said I was meaning to spark conversation not criticize. I have always been open on the fact that I am inexperienced.

• Like 1

Sorry I could have worded this better, I too am in the hunt for some predators and hope to get a few coyotes under my belt, I plan on using them to sack out my mules and tan the hides as well. I was just thinking more like with fox and some smaller predators they are not a threat to livestock or deer much so do alot of guys take them and just leave them? I would think like coyotes are prolific and can effect deer and other game so I can understand population control there but guys that go after fox and bobcat and the like would be using them in the fur trade or for trophies?

Is there such a population of these species that they really need our control hunting to the point where we would let them lay like a coyote?

Like I said I was meaning to spark conversation not criticize. I have always been open on the fact that I am inexperienced.

Fox eat ALOT of quail. there a are a whole slew of guys that flesh,stretch, and sell the furs of bobcats(main one), coyotes, and fox. and there are bobcats and fox all over AZ you just dont see them like you do with coyotes. normally fox live in dens with many other fox, thats why if you call in 1 fox and keep calling, you probably will call in another, or you did and just didnt see it.

Makes sense I didn't think of quail. Well hopefully you get some takers on the pelts so you can blast away and help out the rancher.

• Like 1

Ya even trapping season opening in nov the cats are not "top dollar" quality till 2nd half of season. Fox will put a hurting on turkey nests to (not problem in desert)

'Top dollar' is going to be a term we don't use any more here in AZ for a good long time I am afraid. Fur prices are going to hover around last years 40% lower price and buyers are saying maybe even slightly lower.

Still... can any one really pass on harvesting and putting up a bobcat pelt that now is only worth on $200-300? Sure we were getting way less but really. 1 hours work for $250? Can't beat that.

• Like 1

'Top dollar' is going to be a term we don't use any more here in AZ for a good long time I am afraid. Fur prices are going to hover around last years 40% lower price and buyers are saying maybe even slightly lower.

Still... can any one really pass on harvesting and putting up a bobcat pelt that now is only worth on $200-300? Sure we were getting way less but really. 1 hours work for $250? Can't beat that.

you know in trapping its Not $250 for hour work between the scouting finding the cat running traps and checking them lol if you are that good ill pay you for lessons .(I follow your posts very good at what you do) Calling that would be a little more realistic

Last year I brought in around 12k in foxes and bobcat pelts. I worked out how much time I invested checking traps, working pelts, and prepping for the sale and it came out to about $10/hour. OUCH. Fur prices are going to be the same or a little mower this year hence I wont be trapping as hard.

Compare that to the year before where I made 23k. Well worth the money then.

I'll stick to calling foxes and the incidental bobcat. Fox prices are staying almost to their price of 2-3 years ago. $25/pelt.

A good caller can hit 100 foxes a year calling.