bowsniper

My buck won a biannual Pope & Young Award

I received a letter from Pope and Young. The letter said that my coues buck I killed two years ago was a “winner” for the biannual award for coues. To recieve the award, I have to build a wood create and ship my mount (my expense both ways) to Pennsylvania. The mount would be gone 10 weeks and would be displayed at Cabelas and at the Pope and Young awards banquette. When they are done with it, they would ship it back. Alternatively, I could take the create to Cabelas in Glendale, and they would truck it both ways for free, but there would be no tracking.

There are 4 bucks up for the biannual coues awards, two 120’s, a 105, and mine 102 (108 gross). If all four were shipped in by the owners, mine would get the honorable mention award. If any other bigger ones were not shipped in, mine would then move up. The process is really a verification of the animal and the measurement, so if it's not sent in, it is not considered.

Some recognition for my buck would be cool, but I’m a little concerned about the mount being lost, stolen, or messed up. It is not replaceable. My wife has already said that “it’s not going anywhere”, but I’m still on the fence. I’m not sure that the recognition is worth the possible risk. Then again, maybe I'm over paranoid. Building a create would consume time I'm already short on.

I could really use some opinions. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

I say go for it. Let the rest of the world see what a quality TROPHY coues looks like. Many have NEVER seen a western whitetail in person and will be in awe at the quality buck that you have taken.

This opportunity (in my humble opinion) is a chance of a lifetime! There is definetely some 'risk' involved, but in an afternoon I believe that you could construct a quality crate that should withstand the rigors of travel. It's not like you are sending a Caribou or Moose, I think it could be done effeciently. Just take your time. Closed cell foam products may work well. If you can utilize other people that have sent them to P&Y and see what worked for them.

I've been a member of P&Y for 3 years and haven't heard of problems with mounts, but there is some risk involved. As for your wife , she may be the toughest to convince. ;)

Good luck and what an OUTSTANDING TROPHY!

Doug

AzP&Y

I probably would not do it. You already have it in the books, the award is just extra right? Do you really want the award? I think knowing it was considered for the award would be enough. I think it would be different if they did all the crating and expenses and had tracking. Seems to me you are taking more risk than you are getting rewarded for. But it's a tough decision.

Amanda

You want an award, take another look at that buck.

You want recognition, CONGRATULATIONS!

Mark,

I wouldn't sent your buck out.....listen to you wife. I've always thought Pope and Young and Boone and Crocket was kind of wierd....you have to pay to have your name on a list......you know what you accomplished.....I wouldn't worry about anyone else.

scott

Mark,

I too, received that letter for my Non-typical Coues from last year and for my Desert Sheep in 2001..... It got me really excited the first time, but the thought of boxing up my mounted sheep (large pedistal mount) and shipping it across the country quickly calmed me down. Although, if I could afford to go to Lancaster and receive the award using a motorhome and a Cargo trailer.... I might do it. Honestly, that big public "Pat on the Back" stuff really is not for me.... The respect and recognition that I get from family and friends when they walk into my house and see my mounts is enough for me. I would rather spend my money on a bigger, more fancy mount than getting that award..... I mean, the nicer the mount..... the more respect you are showing the animal... in my opinion.

Your buck is a Dandy..... anyone who knows you or that buck, respects you already for harvesting him. Atleast, that is how I see it. If it was a new Pending World Record my opinion would be very different though...... that is a Must GO!! :)

I would not do it. My uncle had a letter like this once about his Black bear he killed here in AZ it was number three for a few years. A guy came out and looked at it and was going to write a story up on it For the show. When he came home from a trip to Eager the bear was gone off the wall. the bear hung in that Back room for many many years. He got it back from a sting Operation that retreived lots of tropy mounts. The Teeth and claws were all gone out of the bear.

Tough one to answer... its great you won the award and it's something to to be very proud of, but having to be responsible for the cost both ways? What do they mean, no tracking, you drop it off, they return it. Its seems like they don't want to take much responsibility for it. What happens if the mount is lost, stolen, or damaged at the display?

If you decide to not send it, print this and hang it on the wall. THAT IS ONE heck OF A BUCK!!

Redman

Keep him where he belongs... with you. Unless the reward is worth the risk, ( don't sound like it is...) why consider it.

My .02 worth

Mark,

I say go for it. Let the rest of the world see what a quality TROPHY coues looks like. Many have NEVER seen a western whitetail in person and will be in awe at the quality buck that you have taken.

This opportunity (in my humble opinion) is a chance of a lifetime! There is definetely some 'risk' involved, but in an afternoon I believe that you could construct a quality crate that should withstand the rigors of travel. It's not like you are sending a Caribou or Moose, I think it could be done effeciently. Just take your time. Closed cell foam products may work well. If you can utilize other people that have sent them to P&Y and see what worked for them.

I've been a member of P&Y for 3 years and haven't heard of problems with mounts, but there is some risk involved. As for your wife , she may be the toughest to convince. ;)

Good luck and what and OUTSTANDING TROPHY!

Doug

AzP&Y

I totally agree. Remember the recognition is for the animal not the hunter.