bonecollector777

Question about receiving money without being a guide

So I have a situation where I have two guys from cali wanting some help with their archery elk hunts. They aren't gonna make it out here to scout at all before the hunt so I offered to put out some cams and salt to find them a good bull and help them when their hunt starts.

I am not a licensed guide, do not claim to be and do not expect compensation in any form and will not accept compensation of any form. My question is if I'm paying for salt, cams, batteries, buck jam, fuel etc. To scout and look for a bull am I allowed to have them help pay for some of those expenses?

The law states this: a guide is one who Accepts compensation in any form commensurate with the market value in this state for guiding services in exchange for aiding, assisting, directing, leading or instructing a person in the field to locate and take wildlife.

The way I see it I am not aiding, assisting, directing, leading or instructing anyone IN THE FIELD to locate or take wildlife. Technically putting out cams to take pictures of elk doesn't really have anything to do with azgfd laws because I'm not hunting or helping someone hunt. I am not doing any of this to make a profit but simply to help cover costs of the items listed above. Once they are out here I will be paid nothing and won't receive any compensation. Do you think azgfd would have anything to use against me for taking any money to simply cover material expenses right now?

From what I've researched, the feds actually give you much more leeway towards compensation than AZ does. Federal statutes allow you to be re-compensated for guiding or outfitting expenditures so long as you do not earn a profit on their lands without being an approved licensed, permitted and insured guide/outfitter.

Well it depends. As you seem to go after them and totally pound them for anything and everything they do as being corrupt and dirty, greedy and whatever else you can think of. They might look at you a bit differnt than others.(lol) On a more serious note as long as you do not keep the cameras they buy or come out with anything of value you should be fine. That was how it was explained to me when I asked a officer in the field over in unit 27.

Call AGFD and ask them....and you might want to talk to several different officers at AGFD to see how they would interpret that. And get it in writing if they say it's OK.

• Like 1

I've wanted to get my guiding license just so all my friends don't have an excuse to not pay me. Gets old after awhile taking friends who don't know much about hunting or the area they're hunting and paying for EVERYTHING. Gas, gear, food, my rifle, bullets, glass, time, filling out applications, truck maintenance, etc.... Just so I can go on several hunts a year. I've gained lots of experience because of it but it gets old quick when they start to expect it.

• Like 3

Guest wdenike

Well it depends. As you seem to go after them and totally pound them for anything and everything they do as being corrupt and dirty, greedy and whatever else you can think of. They might look at you a bit differnt than others.(lol) On a more serious note as long as you do not keep the cameras they buy or come out with anything of value you should be fine. That was how it was explained to me when I asked a officer in the field over in unit 27.

Sorta like the IRS, and other Chicago thug like bully like tactics ???? I think not, as I believe the government agencies, and extreme left demorcrats are all in for a good ole fashion azz whipin in more ways than one. Guess it is acceptable to some though.

Take care, Willie

I've wanted to get my guiding license just so all my friends don't have an excuse to not pay me. Gets old after awhile taking friends who don't know much about hunting or the area they're hunting and paying for EVERYTHING. Gas, gear, food, my rifle, bullets, glass, time, filling out applications, truck maintenance, etc.... Just so I can go on several hunts a year. I've gained lots of experience because of it but it gets old quick when they start to expect it.

Problem with that is you would also need insurance and permits from forest service to be paid. Way too many rules regarding it because all the agencies want a piece of the pie if you're making some money.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I personally don't see I'm doing anything wrong but I'm gonna call them up and see what they say.

• Like 1

Hey 777, I looked into this for myself to do some packing and even though all I wanted to do was pack camps and meat its all the same, From Game and Fish you will need Forest license and guide license and insurance and you will have to keep a report log for game and fish to keep your license current. After researching I decided not to do it. 1500.00 min in fees and insurance per year just for legally packing and being paid for one forest area.

• Like 2

If it were me I would call the game warden in the area(s) you are going to scout, introduce yourself, and talk to them directly. I'd probably even tell them a general area I was going to put out cameras and ask them to "keep their eyes out" for anyone walking around with "cameras with my name on the inside of them". Not that they are going to spend a lot of time guarding your cameras, but when you ask for their help and treat them like one of the "good guys"... They treat you like one of the good guys as well. It's been my expierience that when you are totally up front with them and don't act like you have anything to hide, they don't typically think you do. Most of them I've run into, in most states I hunt anyway, are pretty good people... I've made life long friends in F&G Departments around the country by just trying to be a nice guy. Tell them the situation, assure them you aren't making any money just putting out the salt and cameras that your friends bought, and see what they think.

• Like 2

I would say if you trust the guys to not make an issue of it then have them ship you some of their cameras and maybe a gas card. You're basically just doing a favor minus materials but you never know what could happen if g&f wants to dive into the case. Better off talking to several g&f people to get the go ahead like others have mentioned.

Ive been wondering about this, too. What if I sell a map with honey holes circled on it. Say it includes usfs land to keep thr feds involved. Is that guiding?

Ive been wondering about this, too. What if I sell a map with honey holes circled on it. Say it includes usfs land to keep thr feds involved. Is that guiding?

Yes.

I'm kinda with GJMauro12 on this. Why don't they order the stuff online and pay for it but have it shipped to your address? If it is legit and you guys trust each other then you should be good to go. When they come to hunt give them all their stuff such as cameras, batteries and anthing else that is tangible in good working order. If there is no trust then why even put yourself in this position? Not worth losing hunting prviledges for five years and pay hefty fine.

The very least I would do is call G&F (not front counter folks) and ask someone who knows. If they say it is ok, get it in writing with a name.

Good Luck.